is it possible that our intestines...

berrixblonde
on 4/17/11 2:43 am - NY
 will grow even more villi than we had before? making it harder for us to loose/maintain weight after we reach goal? I keep forgetting to ask my surgeon if since my PCOS/ insulin resistance has subsided will that give me a "normal persons" digestive process...meaning calories in=calories out to maintain weight loss...

anybody know what i mean lol..i meet with the surgeon on friday for a checkup
Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 2:48 am
I have read studies about this, and yes, your intestines will grow more villi.... expect that you will eventually absorb 100% of your calories eventually.... but they will never absorb MORE than 100% of your calories, so you just keep your calories to the level that works for YOU in maintenance.

This is true for everyone. Some people have maintenance levels that are pretty high calorie wise, and some pretty low. Most of 2010 I was eating around 700 - 1100 calories because food didn't interest me. This year I started with that but since I had surgery my calories are up to 1500..... and I'm not yet sure if that is a good level or not, I might have to back it down. Depends on if I remain a sloth!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/17/11 2:51 am - OH
Your intestines will DEFINITELY grow more than you had before in the non-bypasses section. Whether that will be more than you had in total with the intestine intact, I don't know.  What I know is that you will eventually absorb almost all of the calories and fat that you eat.

Some people have a permanent change in metabolism (which may already have been dicey to begin with) because of the extreme lack of calories during the first few months.  If this happens, it definitely makes it harder to maintain the weight loss.  I know that I have to keep my calories about 1400-1500 to maintain my weight of about 150.  If I had consumed only that number of calories pre-op, I would have been losing weight.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

wendy_fou
on 4/17/11 3:14 am - AR
Research has been done on various patients that have had intestional surgeries done (not just WLS, but people that have had a portion of their intestines removed or bypassed for other medical conditions like chrones disease, etc). 

Studies have shown that not only can the body grow more villi, but the villi already existing actually "stretch" or "grow" out longer to absorb more.  This is why some people experience a small bounceback even if they keep their calories/fat/etc all the same.  (I believe most bounce-back is really just non-compliance and/or dietary changes, etc.  But there can be very small bounce-backs from absorbing more calories.) 

The time it takes a body to adapt to the malabsorption depends on how much you have bypassed.  I haven't read the research in years, but I remember reading that RNY supposedly takes approximately 3 years to adapt to the malabsorption while the DS supposedly takes approximately 7 years to adapt.  SO if you are a distal RNYer, the DS adaptation # is probably closer for you.)

Good luck!

Wen
Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 3:19 am
My RNY is more distal than many, so I'm pretty sure that I still malabsorb but not as much as I was.

I had an upper GI with small bowel follow through, and it was interesting to me that a normal gut takes about two hours for a contrast swallowed to make it to the large intestine. In my case, it got there in thirty minutes. That doesn't mean that I only have 25% of a normal person's intestines (I think?) but it is an eye opener and explains why I have had continued success even when I go off the rails a bit here and there.

berrixblonde
on 4/17/11 4:01 am - NY
 this is something i really am interested in. it would be nice to be in your situation lady litha but im unsure if i have a proximal or distal bypass. my best bet would be to ask the surgeon...
Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 4:10 am
Ask your surgeon. I was bypassed more than normal.... my guess is you were bypassed 80 to 100 cm which is typical. There are studies taht show long-term success is really about the same, and the shorter (your likely bypass) has fewer vitamin deficiencies and less vitamin malabsorption, and is thus safer and better for the long haul, without really sacrificing ultimate success.

For me, I don't think I needed as aggressive a bypass as they did. But with a BMI of 50, it was standard procedure then. Now, not so much I think.

It's okay though, it is what it is.