coloring hair

horkeler1
on 4/20/11 10:37 pm - Windsor, CO
well ive been in the hair thinning phase for 3 months and was just wondering when and if at all would be a good time to color my hair lighter?I dont want to put a hole lot of stress on my hair but with dark hair you can start to tell its thinning.has anyone colored their from dark brown to a golden blonde because of thinning?
DisneyLover
on 4/20/11 10:46 pm - WI
My sister used to work at a salon and the owner had RNY and she lost her hair something terrible.  She had dyed blonde hair - natural was dark.  She didn't color her hair for a year, which for her being the owner of a salon was very hard.
I have just started noticing my hair thinning and I need a color bad.  I don't know what I am going to do.  Might just cut it short and color it, might not.  I keep telling myself I would rather be bald and skinny than heavy with hair, but now I am not so sure.
I have no personal experience, but if you think you will feel better if the thinning isn't so noticeable with lighter hair, then go for it...or it might make the thinning worse.

Sarah

Dee2011
on 4/20/11 10:47 pm - PA
I am naturally blonde; however I wanted to try a warm brunette last year.  In order to get back to blonde I had to have my hair professionally colored for about half a year before I could do it myself again and have it look professional.
horkeler1
on 4/20/11 10:54 pm - Windsor, CO
thats what im afraid of if i color it might break off or something,ive already cut it shorter I had surgery in oct and have lost 60lbs and this started in jan and its slowing but hasnt completey stopped.i do try and baby my hair,it started out thin,i dont know !!
jnt_179
on 4/20/11 10:59 pm
I have been highlighting and dyeing mine since about 3 months after surgery. I have it done every 8 weeks and it has not been an issue. I have not had breakage due to the coloring but I do have tiny baby hairs starting to come back in from the hair that I lost.

HW:345lbs/SW:319lbs/CW:210lbs/GW:170lbs

Crazy* ~Beautiful
on 4/20/11 11:02 pm - East Haven, VT
I just dyed mine for the 1st time since surgery. I am 9 months post op) From the get go I lost a lot of hair and was very thin starting off, so I avoided coloring because like you I didnt want to add anymore stress. Since I have dyed it I havnt noticed any increased hairloss, however my hair does feel very brittle...could be from the hairdye but who knows...
RNY-7/22/2010-Highest weight 315 / Surgery weight 280 / Current weight 186
1st Goal weight 199~"one"derland-REACHED! 2nd Goal weight 180~-TO BE CONTINUED!
  1st 5K: 29.48-5/19/2011  2nd 5K: 26.47-7/16/2011
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Carla M.
on 4/20/11 11:06 pm
RNY on 02/21/11 with
Dying it should not make you lose more hair. Up your protein intake for a bit. A lot of people lose hair because the body pulls protein from anywhere it can get it...nails, hair, etc. If it's pulling protein from nails, you will start to see ridges form in your nails. Hair begins to thin and fall out from lack of protein and stress. Coloring hair doesn't stress it too bad. It actually should leave it in better shape than before it was dyed (unless you bleach it).
soldierzgirl36
on 4/21/11 1:40 am - WA
I am a natural blonde, however as I get older my roots are darkening. I color my hair every 8 weeks. Just did it the other day and I am out 7 weeks post op. I use a good hair serum and let it air dry cause it is think and long. I havent noticed any damage or hair loss yet, not to say I wont a little bit more down the road. But as for now, it is really good....

SOLDIERZGIRL

ColleenA
on 4/21/11 5:02 am - NC
I'm a hairstylist and six months out from surgery. I have been coloring my hair the whole time.  If your hair is in decent condition coloring it will not cause more to fall out. The reason we lose our hair is malnutrition from the lack of calories we take in at first.  Has nothing to do with the external hair. 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views