Self Pay vs. Insurance Paid Percentage

SelfPay
on 4/22/11 10:29 am

I’m a self pay candidate.  My insurance doesn’t cover the procedure and if I want to have it done, it’s going to be at my cost – about $24k.  I want and will have it done.  My surgery date for my RNY is May 12th. 

My Surgeon mentioned to me that the majority of folks he does Bariatric surgery are in fact covered by insurance and that only a small percentage of the folks are self pay.  It concerns him that folks are liable for the cost of surgery and any potential complications during and after surgery.  To that end, he’s now working to offer BLISS coverage in the near future but it will come too late for me to apply and pay for it.  But I digress.

I’m curious to know if that’s the case on this forum?  In other words, are most folks here covered by insurance?  I suspect the answer is yes and that only a small percentage of us are self pay due to the tremendous cost.  Thanks!

Lady Lithia
on 4/22/11 10:32 am
I don't know what BLISS is.

My insurance paid for my surgery. I could not have done it without insurance.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Dee2011
on 4/22/11 10:57 am - PA
My insurance paid for 80% and I have to come with the rest.
kimndan18
on 4/22/11 11:00 am - IA
My insurance paid for all but $300 dollars of it, I could not have had it done without it.

SelfPay
on 4/22/11 11:05 am
So far 3:1 so I guess he's correct!!!
bankgirl
on 4/22/11 11:10 am
After completing my insurance co.'s 6 month presurgery program they paid for nearly all of it. I only needed to cover my deductible ($500) and the cost of my required classes (also $500). I wouldn't have been able to have had this surgery without insurance!

avidreader
on 4/22/11 11:11 am - Cary, NC
My insurance paid, also.  I paid my deductible plus a co pay, but most of that had been met by the time I went through all the pre op testing necessary before the surgery.  I could not have had the surgery if I had been self pay.  I just did a TT, though, and was self pay - that was bad enough, but well worth it.

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
ANNI D.
on 4/22/11 11:13 am
My RNY was paid for out of pocket. The cheapest price I found here in my state, North Carolina, was about $19,900. That was too much for me. I finally found a wonderful surgeon in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, and went there. It was less then half of the price here, so opted for that and made a 10 day vacation out of it. I had my surgery on day 2 and as of the 4th day out, I was at a huge Mexican mall!! Stayed at a beautiful resort that the surgery center had a "deal" with, for half of the regular rate also. The only thing that was paid for with no discount was the airfare. In total with all that and my mother and aunt went with me, they ate out every night, and we bought plenty of stuff, it was still cheaper to go to Mexico. I hope your surgery goes as well as mine. Good luck!!
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

allvalerie
on 4/22/11 11:25 am - Seward, AK
I'm a self pay

About $31,000 total with pre op tests and surgery. I was worried about having complications and ending up with a big bill-luckily I had no complications.

Valerie
Rebecca G.
on 4/22/11 11:25 am - Wilmington, NC
My insurance paid $32,500. I paid $33. I have Tricare (military insurance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 257 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 270 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 316 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views