6 days post op, have to call my Dr tomorrow

newtintn
on 4/24/11 4:14 pm - TN
 Im not getting in enough liquids...if Im lucky I get 10 oz a day...today I got in appx 15. Also not getting enough protein in either. Scared hes going to put me back in hospital or something...has this happened to anyone else? I never expected to have trouble with liquids...but they sit on my pouch like water on an empty stomach, which makes me SO sick i cant stand it...

Ladytazz
on 4/24/11 4:21 pm
The protein is not as important as the fluids are at this point.  You need to get in more the 10 or 15 oz a day or you may find yourself back in the hospital with an IV.  Have you tried it at different tempatures?  I find I can drink herbal tea pretty easy.  I hardly ever have plain water.  These days I use MIO in mine so I can lightly sweeten it.  You can also count the protein drinks towards your fluid goal.
Have you tried the sugar free popcicles?  Whatever it takes.  I hope you are feeling better soon.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

newtintn
on 4/24/11 4:36 pm - TN
 yes ive been eating 3 popsicles a day, my dr says I cant have any more than 3 a day. Ive tried water at all diff temps, tried crystal lite but its so sweet it makes me sick...i actually woke up this morning craving ice water but then that faded. Ive even been eating ice...but liquids on my pouch just make me sick right now...ugh

Ladytazz
on 4/25/11 2:51 am
Try MIO. I like it because you can control how much you use.  I don't like my drink very sweet, either.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

skabets112
on 4/24/11 5:35 pm
my surgeon said that ANYTHING that is liquid base that does not have caffeine in it counts in my fluid count (ie, protein drinks, etc). Sometimes I have a problem with pure water, most mornings, I CANNOT drink pure water at all before I have coffee and some food of some sort. I actually keep SF koolaid (feel like a kid again) in the fridge for me to drink. I couldn't drink full strength koolaide, or crystal light when I first had the surgery, so I watered it down. It helped with my fluid in take, tremendously! I always keep a water bottle by my bed, because I always wake up thirsty, and that helps some with fluid intake. When I was first out, I got a 1.5 liter water bottle, and made sure I drank at least that during the day. First out of surgery, I could not drink CL lemonaid--not sure which crystal lights you are trying, but I could only tolerate (and haven't tried any since) the iced tea.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me"  Phil 4:13

nfarris79
on 4/25/11 12:23 am - Germantown, MD
 Try the crystal light at half or even quarter strength. It's really important to get WAY more liquids in, even when it feels horrible to do so. If you start getting the symptoms of dehydration, get yourself to the ER! There's no shame in getting IV fluids. Today's monday so call your surgeon to explain HOW difficult it's been for you.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

girlonamission
on 4/25/11 6:27 am
Hey! Have you tried warm broth or warm herbal tea? The warmth really helps to calm your pouch, and it might be easier to tolerate. I loved the "Better Than Buillon" paste mixed with warm water, it has a good flavor... got it at Walmart, I think. I had a difficult time tolerating cold temps when I was newly postop, but the warm was nice and soothing! Good luck!!

Most Active