Headache suggestions

Amy Smith
on 4/25/11 1:31 am
I used to get migraines pre-RNY and have not had one like this for a long time.  I have taken my migraine medication (Maxalt), Tylenol, and Lortab.  I am sitting here with a cold clothe on my head.  I have closed my windows and turned on my AC.  (It is a hot and humid day here).  Does anyone have any other ideas or things I can try.  I have not felt like this in almost 2 years! ( i just got back from Las Vagas so I have a feeling it is due to the weather change, etc.)
Amy R.
on 4/25/11 1:39 am
Wow.  If you've tried all of those and even the Lortab didn't work - that's gotta be one hell of a headache. 

Do you think some caffeine might help?  Sometimes if nothings working I'll try a caffeine tablet, because Excedrin used to work for me and can't take it now do to aspirin content. When you take your next dose of Lortab, maybe try either adding a caffeine pill (equivalent to a cup of strong coffee and easier to get down than the coffee when you have a migraine) or drinking some strong coffee or tea.  The other thing you can try is taking a Valium or something similar when you take your next dose of the Lortab.  A lot of times that too will end up subduing my migraines, but of course it makes you REALLY tired so you can't drive or anything.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else you can do besides head to the ER and get a shot of a strong pain med mixed with an anti-nausea med.

Hope you feel better soon.  Those things are hell I know.    =(
Ron S.
on 4/25/11 4:24 am, edited 4/25/11 4:35 am
Used to have em all the time. This may not help now, but for future use.
At first onset of symptoms-
Under your nose (the little ridge above your lip) is a pressure point for the front of your head.
Right below lower lip is one for the back of your head.
I gently rub these two points as needed. Usually there is a mildly tender spot to give a clue where exactly to rub. I use light, but firm, pressure. Usually works in 10-15 minutes, but you have to catch em early.  You only have to rub a few seconds on each point. Can do one or both points depending on where the pain originates. I usually do both just in case.

If I miss early warnings or it gets worse, I rub the outside tips of my thumbs, and last resort, a spot in the web between the thumb and 1st finger.

I thankfully have had nearly no bad headaches in last couple of years and only a few in last 10 since I learned this trick. All of the ones I had, were ones I didnt catch early and was under excessive stress.

Hope this helps and Hope you are felling better soon.
Most Active