Post op Pain relief

newtintn
on 4/26/11 7:18 pm - TN
 What did you guys use post op for pain releif? My dr prescribed liquid loritab but it doesnt last long enough. Normally loritab is my pain med of choice and it lasts at least 4 hrs...this liquid stuff MAYBE lasts an hour at most and I can only take it ever 6 hrs. Im ready to start moving about more, maybe going outside more etc but I cant with this pain in my left side....I cant even slouch when Im sitting it hurts so bad I have to sit stick straight and even then it still hurts some. I cant walk straight upright either. I have a HUGE knot on my left side and my bruise is HUGE, even my nurse was taken aback when she saw it today...

amberj82
on 4/26/11 7:37 pm - Blue Springs, MO
Oh my! Sorry to hear you're hurting.

I was also given lortab elixir, and I was pretty faithful about taking it every four hours for the first week or so. It definitely kept me comfortable! 

Wonder why they told you every six? 

Hope you feel better soon!!!
(deactivated member)
on 4/26/11 8:18 pm - SC
If you're in that much pain you need to call your surgeon.  They can prescribe you something else to offer better relief.  I was sent home on Percocet tablets.  I took 1 every 3 hours the first day instead of the 2 every 6 hours that they prescribed.  It seemed to help more that way.  I was also given the Lortab elixir when I had issues swallowing the pills.  It didn't help at all!  Plus it tastes horrible.  Seriously, call your surgeon.  That's what they are there for.  Not every pain medication works the same way on everyone.  
babybooo828
on 4/26/11 9:01 pm
 I was given liquid oxycotin (I think I spelled that wrong) so it was a bit stronger than lortab (hydrocoden). Mine saide take 5ml to 10ml every 6 hours as needed. I always took 5ml cause I didn't need more. I only took it for the first week I was home and only took it every 6 hours for the first day and a half. After that I only took it when I really needed it... like when I would come home from walking around the store or something. I didn't seem to have too much pain. 

How many days out are you?

I would speak to your surgeon about the level of pain you are in and how the pain medication only works for an hour for you. You really shouldn't be in that much pain. 

Paula R.
on 4/26/11 10:18 pm - White House, TN
I agree with Babybooo.  I just came home yesterday with the lortab elixer and I've only taken it once.  My doctor said to expect some soreness but if I had major pain that I should call him.  So far, I've just had some mild soreness. I think you should call your doctor.
keepitoff91
on 4/26/11 10:19 pm
Hey there!  We had surgery right around the same time if I remember.  I was just thinking this morning, "if I could just get rid of the pain in my side, I'd feel pretty good".  My surgeons office says it's normal to hurt there, that's where they put in the biggest tools.  I myself have been trying to "back off' the Loritab a little, and am a little dissappointed I still need it.  I guess we can keep each other company in our misery!  A couple of times a day I ice the area with a bag of frozen peas.  Other than that I take my Loritab and just sit pretty still. 
Amy R.
on 4/26/11 10:27 pm, edited 4/26/11 10:37 pm
I agree - call your doc. There are many other kinds of pain meds they can give you. Personally I was prescribe liquid Roxicet (tylenol + oxycodone) along with a bottle of liquid oxycodone (that had no tylenol) for breakthrough pain. So if the Roxicet didn't last the full 4 hours I could take the oxycodone on top of it. And I actually did have to do that a couple of times. I had my gall bladder out and a hernia repaired at the same time I had my RnY, so I can totally relate to your pain.

Alternatively or also, if you're having trouble sleeping because of pain, ask them for something for sleep too.

Do yourself a favor and call you surgeon today. That's what they are there for! =)

You'll feel MUCH better soon, but there's no reason to suffer so badly in the meantime. Take Care.

edited for spelling
cindysboofer
on 4/26/11 11:32 pm - Kitty Hawk, NC
 I was given loritab also and yes it dont last long how much can u take at a time i took 15 ml, when your able to take pills my doctor gave me  ( Hydrocodon-acetaminophn  10-325), it last longer
                                                                                Generic   for  norco

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/11 11:37 pm - TX
I took my liquid Lortab every three hours the first two days; then every four hours after that instead of every six. The nurse told me it was fine because you usually miss a dose or two during the day due to sleep and time constraints.

If you think you need it ask for something stronger. I had the same issues with my left side pain for three weeks and spent a LOT of time in the recliner. At my two week appointment they determined they had cut a nerve bundle during surgery (hypothetical, I am sure, but couldn't figure out why I was in pain) and it would take it a bit longer to heal. I was fine at about three weeks out as long as I didn't overdo it.
Most Active