Avoiding constipation, advise a n00b

ceruleanme
on 4/27/11 11:46 am - CA
 So, I've been reading the constipation horror stories, and reading about the different meds and supplements to take to avoid the hell... I'm not scheduled to see my surgeon for a bit- who actually doesn't really give me great advice anyway...

I'm about a month and a half post op, and on metformin twice a day. Since surgery, my stools have been very loose. It's all diarrhea all the time so I don't want to start taking a stool softener or miralax type med now.

Any idea when I should expect this to change, or does it not change for everyone? 

I'm happy enough to work in some probiotics or what have you... but I'd really like to avoid getting into a hard spot.  

Thanks for all of the great advice!
Amy R.
on 4/27/11 11:54 am
I know several folks who take magnesium supplements to avoid constipation problems, but I'm not sure what the dosage is. Someone will pop in and tell us soon though, I'm sure.

Great idea to be pro-active. I didn't have much constipation but I know some who have really struggled and you don't want to go there.

Congrats on your recent surgery!!
twincredible
on 4/27/11 11:59 am
I use the GNC 25 bilion probiotics and think they really help.  I also had really loose stools for a month and a half or so, but now I have to really stay on top of things to avoid severe constipation.  I am7 months out, and I have had one horrible bout of constipation and several smaller episodes.  I do rely on Miralax, but I understand that you don't want to start it yet.  I would suggest that you start using it when/if the loose stools stop.
Melissa
HW 320/SW 280/CW 149.5 /GW 145

ceruleanme
on 4/27/11 12:11 pm - CA
 Thank you for the advice, I'll check out the pro-biotics.  I'
ceruleanme
on 4/27/11 12:07 pm - CA
ceruleanme
on 4/27/11 12:12 pm - CA
 Thank you!  :)
grmadeb01
on 4/27/11 12:03 pm - FL
well when i was on my metformin, it gave me direaha most of the time..now that i am 3 weeks post op, well i am just on the tail end of a major bout of constipation....boy howdy...i dont wnat to go there again...i have stool softenrs, but my PCM did give me some mirlex...but i only started out with a half dose, then today i only took a 1/4 dose....and boy did it work..but now i have deal with the really, really, huge hemriods...i had them before, but now i have 2 and they are not small...but at least things are moving...i would suggest getting your benefiber, and some stool softners and then some miralex and you will have to play around with what will work for you...
have a great day
debby
ceruleanme
on 4/27/11 12:10 pm - CA
 Ooh boy! I'll start some benefiber, though I might hold off on the stool softener until I start having solid stools again.

Good luck with your issues! 
amanda_123
on 4/27/11 12:06 pm
I found that my bathroom habits when back to normal after I started eating "normal" again. 

I didn't start taking Miralax until I started having issues going to the bathroom. (That was about three months out) I'm not 6 months post op and use it almost daily.
ceruleanme
on 4/27/11 12:11 pm - CA
 Good to know :)  Thanks!! 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 345 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views