Tooth Loss???

Jeanine J.
on 5/8/11 9:21 am
I am afraid that this will happen to me! Have any of you had this happen and if you did how many teeth did you lose?

What's worth the PRIZE is ALWAYS worth the FIGHT!                
Lady Lithia
on 5/8/11 9:29 am
As long as you take your calcium, you are likely to be fine and only experience the tooth loss you would have experienced without the surgery

I've had issues with three crowns since my RNY .....all three of them began to be issues within six months of my RNY (and therefore, I doubt that it had anything to do with my RNY).... one crown was broken before my RNY and I ended up needing a root canal.....then another crown fell out while I was flossing, and my dentist ended up doing a root canal on that tooth also. Then about four months later another old crown fell out of my head, and that tooth had a root canal already so the dentist just put the crown back in.... but apparently an abscess developed at the root and my efforts to save it didn't work, so it was pulled.

So i've lost one tooth and had two root canals that would have had to take place no matter what anyway. I had some medicine in my younger years that apparantly messed up my teeth and so I have more crowns andd root canals than normal teeth.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

poet_kelly
on 5/8/11 11:12 am - OH
I haven't lost any teeth so far.  I think as long as you take your calcium (1500-2000 mg calcium CITRATE) and brush your teeth, they will probably be fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/8/11 11:33 am - OH
I have had NO problems with any of my teeth and don;t know anyone HAS!  If someone's calcium levels are low enough that they are losing teeth, they are in serious trouble!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cajungirl
on 5/8/11 11:58 am
I haven't had any teeth problem.  I've heard of others having issues usually due to calcium deficiency.  Take your calcium and stay on top your Vitamin D.

Get copies of all your labs and watch for downward trends.  Being proactive goes a LONG way, many surgeons and PCPs don't worry until it becomes a issue when diligent monitoring can prevent some things from happening.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
Recent Topics