skin issues!

kristine V.
on 5/9/11 5:04 am - FL
okay, so i've always had these little pimple-like things in my armpits and the inside of my thigh, i'm assuming from the skin rubbing together. however, since my rny, they've gotten worse to the point where i don't even think i can go to the gym tonight when i get out of work because i have a really painful one under my arm and another one on the inside of my thigh. i went to my pcp and she referred me to a dermatologist that i need to make an appointment with and i'm sure this will end up helping me get plastics covered by insurance in the long run but has anyone gone through this/have any home remedies that may help to relieve the pain a bit? i'm going insane!
  starting weight: 343 current weight: 273 goal weight: 143
kimtres
on 5/9/11 5:48 am - Doha, Qatar
Regardless of surgery, I had folliculitis which is when the hair follicles get infected.  They look and feel like pimples but have more of a mix of pus and blood in them than a normal pimple.  I got some medicine from the dermatologist that works wonders on the big ones.  I was getting them on the back of my neck at my hairline, on my back & sides, and on the inner thighs.  See the dermatologist.

I'm only 3 weeks out and I've yet to have one again but that doesn't mean they are gone.  They usually come in waves.

Good luck!

Carol M.
on 5/9/11 9:50 am - TX
Don't get your hopes up for plastics based on this yet.  If a medication can get heal it, then likely ins. won't pay for it.  Has to be documented over a period time and shown that nothing else will help. And even then it is really hard to get approval for arms and legs.
Carol , East Texas
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/9/11 10:35 am - OH
Even with ample evidence of repeated rashes in my armpits AND infections from cutting myself shaving and having teh skin not allow the cuts to heal, I was denied (and my appeal was denied) for PS on my arms.  I had to pay for it out of pocket. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lady Lithia
on 5/9/11 10:54 am
And then there's me..... my skin has never been healthier... haven't had a SINGLE skin infection since I had WLS.... nOt ONE ..... my skin doesn't want me to get plastics.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

ANNI D.
on 5/9/11 11:22 am
Like kimtres, I have folliculitis(sp) too. I unfortunately passed it along to my 6 year old too. She is just starting to have some too. I have these bumps that lots of times are actually cysts that can get up to a quarter size and very deep, but there's no popping it. I have scars all over my thighs from trying to do "surgery" on them myself before my doctor told me that I also have a disease where my body does not fight off the natural staph and other bacterias that our bodies have in the folds and warm places of our bodies. Arm pits, thighs, crease of any fat rolls, backs of knees, under breasts, etc. I don't have problems with all of these, but that's the way it works. Some areas are affected and some are not. I wish I could remember the name of it, but all I can remember is hypo"some really long word!!" If you think this may be what you have, I will be seeing my doc tomorrow and I'm gonna ask what the name is again, for my own curiosity, if nothing else.
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

SoulLips
on 5/9/11 2:17 pm - Cloverdale, CA
I've had good luck with washing the area well (or using alcohol to clean the area) and then applying 100% tea tree oil twice a day (usually after a shower and then before bed).  I have sensitive skin, so the surrounding skin usually turns red and sometimes dries out... but it has always led to noticable healing within 2-3 days.
Start weight: 306   Surgery weight: 282   Current weight 199.5

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?