BREADS

nona1
on 5/10/11 2:44 am - NC
I am right at 2 months from having my surgery. I was told in the beginning when I eat bread to make sure it is toasted. Is that still true at 2 months out. I wanted to make me a tomatoe sandwhich or a turkey sandwhich and wanted to know if I need to toast my bread or not. Is it alright to eat a tomatoe at 2 months. 
Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/10/11 2:52 am - Baltimore, MD
Just my opinion but I wouldn't bother with bread that early out. Even toasted it takes up premium pouch space without giving you good protein in return. But that's just my opinion.
nona1
on 5/10/11 2:56 am - NC
Thanks this is what this site is for. I am a newbie so I need to ask before I do something crazy!!. You are right protein, protein, protein!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
nomoresugar
on 5/10/11 3:06 am
I craved a sandwich about about two months.  I used one slice of bread, and piled the filling(s) on it.  I had about one bite with the bread (yum) then just ate the fillings and tossed the rest of the bread.  It satisfied the craving and wasn't over the top as a choice.  Still works for me.
eliana
on 5/10/11 3:21 am
 I'm with Nik. You can eat so little right now, every bit counts from a nutrition standpoint. I am 19 mths out and I still try to limit the bread. I basically don't eat it at home, but sometimes treat myself when I am out to dinner and there is a high quality bread that is served. Toasted bread is definitely easier for me - regular bread just does not sit well in the pouch for me. Unfortunately though, carbs make me crave more carbs which is why I have to be really careful about bread consumption. Many times though a bite or two is enough to satisfy my craving. 

As for tomatoes, I did eat them at 2 mths out, since I was cleared for fruits then, but when I checked in later with my nutritionist she was surprised that I was able to handle them. She said that she normally does not recommend them until after 3 months due to acid content. Mine were homegrown and low acid, so maybe that is what made the difference. I would wait another month if I were you. No need to stress your pouch!

15 lbs lost prior to surgery. 260 HW/ 245 SW/ 160 Current/ 130 Goal!        
nona1
on 5/10/11 3:27 am - NC
YOU ARE SO RIGHT I FORGOT ABOUT THE ACID. I AM SO THANKFUL FOR THIS SITE. I WOULD HAVE HAD AND UNHAPPY POUCH AND I DON'T WANT AND UNHAPPY POUCH. OH BOY THANKS
siberiancat
on 5/10/11 4:05 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Even at 2 yrs out - I skip the bread.  Most bread is enriched white flour with calories but no nutrition.  I've learned to eat the meat and fixins without the bread and don't crave it any more.

Wait to try bread until you are cleared.  It makes many of us sick and sits in the pouch like a rock and brings nausea and bloating.

When I occasionaly (maybe every 3 months) have bread - it is usually toasted, small bites and chew well.  Make sure to have something "watery" to eat with it so it doesn't get stuck.  Salsa, cucumber, yellow peppers, butter - something to help it not get stuck.

Try to get 100% whole grain if you think you can't live without bread.

Best wishes.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/10/11 6:37 am - Baltimore, MD

Hi Penney,

I just wanted to point out (not for you but for others reading) that there are many types of bread. If a bread says “whole grain" or 100% whole wheat, it is not made of white flour.

Enriched bread refers to bread made with white flour that has wheat germ added to it to make it look like whole wheat bread.

Breads made with whole grain offer a plethora of nutritional benefits, including phytochemicals, selenium and a few other nutrients my warped brain is not grasping right now. They also provide a good source of fiber as we cannot digest the bran from the whole grain.

That being said, we should eat these things in their proper portion sizes when our pouches are mature enough to handle them. But not all bread, and I would even be cautious to say “most" is enriched white bread.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

siberiancat
on 5/10/11 11:01 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Yep, Nik, I totally agree.  The labelling practices are so decieving and saying "7 Grain" or "wheat" (and the color of the bread is brown) leads so many to thinking it is whole grain or 100% whole grain.

There are few choices that meet the whole grain requirement.

Breads don't sit well with me, so I tend to let them alone.  I get concerned because many see that they can have a slice of bread, flatbread, etc. for 40 calories and think that is a "good" find - but if it is refined flour - the nutrients have been stripped and processed with less than natural ingredients added - often added sugars.

Keep up the great work.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Rhie P.
on 5/10/11 6:07 am
I'm a few months further out than you are...with that said....if I eat bread (which I do...but not often or a lot), if it is NOT toasted...it sits like a rock in my stomach and is very uncomfortable.

Rhie

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 264 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 381 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 164 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 255 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 136 views