How much protein in one setting is too much?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/14/11 8:39 am - OH
First, 40 grams of protein is not NEARLY enough!  I have never heard of a surgeon telling patients anything LESS than a minimum of 60, and most suggest 70-80.

There is no scientific data to support any limit on how much protein we can absorb at one time (see the previous post about the ASMBS's statement about it), so you would not be "wasting" the protein.  HOWEVER... you want to spread your protein out evenly throughout the day in order to keep your blood sugar stable throughout the day (low blood sugar can make you shaky or dizzy/lighheaded) AND to keep your metabolism up (which will aid in the weight loss).

You actually need to be drinking TWO of those shakes per day in order to get in enough protein.  Protein deficiency can be serious... your body NEEDS a certain amount of protein just to function every day, and if you do not eat enough it will take it from your muscles... and your HEART is a muscle!  Also, if you are not getting enough protein, that can increase the amount of hair loss you will experience (although getting ENOUGH protein won't prevent the hair loss) during the (roughly) month 4-8 stage.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Craig C.
on 5/15/11 12:06 am - Fort Worth, TX
Thanks for the advice Lora, however perhaps I wasnt clear. My surgeon wants me eating a MINIMUM of 40 grams of protein up to 60 grams the first week.  i just wanted to be sure I wasnt wasting any of the protein in my drink.  Thanks for you help. Thanks to everyone else for their advice as well I appreciate it.

Craig

Most Active
Recent Topics