Right thigh numb

Dave Meekins
on 5/16/11 9:31 pm - Orland Park, IL
I had my surgery on Mon May 2nd. My right thigh has been numb. It is on the front of my thigh about 6 inches wide and about 6 inches long of an area. It does not bother me that much but I am getting worried. Should I tell my surgeon? If so does anyone know what causes that or how to cure it? Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

dasie
on 5/16/11 9:42 pm
I am VERY interested in hearing the responses to this post.  I had surgery 18 months, ago and ever since i have numbness on my right leg directly above my knee that extends 8 inches - give or take an inch.  It does not bother me except when I shave my leg because it feels so weird.   I thought it might be vitamin related, but my labs are fine.  It did not occur immediately post-op; it developed a few months after surgery.  I have no idea what it is, and I have not mentioned to my surgeon. 

Bonnie ABC
on 5/16/11 10:27 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
They use straps to hold you on the table, sometimes the nerves are pinched causing numbness.  At least that's what I was told.  Numbness in me lasted about a year, decreasing over time. 

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
Bobbie D.
on 5/16/11 10:30 pm
I had very bad numbness in both upper thighs after my surgery. I saw a pain center and found that I had a bulging disc sitting on all 5 nerve roots. I was told this was common after a long surgery on an unforgiving hard table.

I was put on Neurontin for a few months and the nerve issues completely cleared up for me.

Good luck figuring it out, I know it drove me crazy. I couldn't stand for 5 minutes without both legs going numb.

Bobbie

Dave Meekins
on 5/16/11 11:05 pm - Orland Park, IL
Thanks everyone for your responses....At least I have an idea on where to go. Anyone else have any ideas or solutions on what you did?

Thanks,
Dave
beatrice00
on 5/16/11 11:06 pm - NY
RNY on 04/10/12 with
It's called sciatica. For most people it affects the right thigh area and it's caused by compression. I had it during both my pregnancies because of the extra weight. There is not much you can do for it to go away except to lose weight.

Dave Chambers
on 5/17/11 12:23 am - Mira Loma, CA
I personally would ask my surgeon.  I know numbness of extremeties has been a brief topic at some of my support meetings.  I did a Google search on it, and a NIH link stated it could be one of a number of things, including a shortage of B12 or other vitamins.  If your issue doesn't improve in the next week or so, I'd strongly suggest letting your surgeon know.  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

hedrider
on 5/17/11 12:31 am - Midlothian, TX
I would call.  It could be nerve damage related to a positional injury and both the surgeon and the OR team need to know about it to keep an eye on it and prevent it in the future.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

danigirl42
on 5/17/11 6:06 am - PA
VSG on 01/02/13
I've had this for several years.  The neurologist told me it's called meralgia paresthetica and is caused by weight pressing on a specific nerve.  He said teachers can get it from standing for long periods and leaning on the desk in a ceratin way, police officers get it if they have big bellies and wear a belt and overweight people can get it from the stomach pooch pressing on the nerve.  He told me to lose weight and it will go away. (Every doctor I see tells me that losing weight will make my ailments go away- go figure)

Sometimes I get pins and needle feelings in it too that make it feel like it's on fire - that's the worst.  I really hope that having surgery and losing weight will make the feeling come back.
Shiloh B.
on 11/20/11 8:45 am - Kitchener, Canada
VSG on 03/22/12
I suffer with this too.. sometimes it's so bad that i cant stand.

it is caused by compression of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve.. it runs through the groin.. which is why people with excess weight in the front get this.

my chiropractor tells me that my doctor could give me a cortisone shot.. but could be difficult to administer.. I am waiting to see my gp to get more information.

my fear is that i will lose the weight still have pain since the nerve has been compressed for so long and seems to be getting worse.. it could be permanently damaged.

July 2nd, 2010 - Referral for WLS from family doctor, MARCH 22, 2012 - Surgery !

Most Active
Recent Topics