X Post Final Goal! Lost Half My Starting Weight! (Long)

Ladytazz
on 5/18/11 5:45 am
 Today, just a few days short of 10 months post op from my revision I reached my final goal of 120lbs.  I am also exactly half the weight I was at my highest.
This goal was important because it means I am the same weight as I was at my lowest with my first WLS.  I feel pretty good physically.  Still struggling with getting in exercise.  I am thinking about buying a bicycle to use around my neighborhood.  I am also planning on joining the community center down the street. 
I am planning on going to California next week to say good bye to my dying mother so this is a hard time for  me.  Not only did I change the way I was eating but I also quit smoking about 8 months ago, so I gave up my favorite coping mechanisms.  I haven't really wanted to turn to food during this time but I really want a cigarette!  I really have to fight that one because I didn't quit smoking because I wanted to but because I couldn't afford it anymore.  I still can't so I just don't start.  I know that one cigarette would lead me right back where I was, just as I know the same thing about refined carbs.  One piece of candy or cake or cookie would never be enough.  I don't do moderation.  And one thing I know beyond a shadow of doubt is that I never want to have to go through quitting again.  It is easier to stay away from things then it is to stop them.  At least for me.
I feel like I eat really well, just smaller amounts.  I drink 3 protein shakes a day because I enjoy them.  One of those shakes is my breakfast because I don't like to eat in the morning.  I eat whatever I want as long as it doesn't have sugar or wheat in it.  I also don't snack or eat outside of my meals.
So far I still don't have a lot of hunger.  I do know when it's time to eat but I'm not starving or anything.  I don't get terribly full, either, but I do feel satisfied after my meals.
I had this surgery after failing my first WLS from 2002 so I know that my biggest challenge lies ahead of me.  I don't have a great track record when it comes to maintenance.  I don't want my reaching goal to be an excuse to eat the wrong things.  I have added some more things in like half and half for my decaf coffee and I am choosing the full fat version of things.  I eat a lot of chicken, which is good because it was several months before I could even tolerate chicken.  I kept trying it every few days or so because I love chicken and didn't want to give it up and eventually I was able to eat it fine.
I go out to eat at least weekly with no problems.  I have found I can go anywhere and find things to eat.  I even go to buffets, though I would rather not, not because I am afraid of overeating but because I am cheap and I hate to spend all that money for a small plate of food.  For some reason I felt like I was getting my moneys worth when I was overeating.
I used to look forward to eating from the moment I woke up until I went to bed.  I was thinking about lunch as I was eating dinner.  I didn't stop at dinner, either.  I snacked all night and it was typical of me to have another full meal at midnight before I went to bed.  I planned everything around eating.  I looked forward to going on vacation because of the food I would eat.  I always wanted to go on a cruise, not because of the places I could see but because I heard they had great buffets.  My favorite words in the world were "All you can eat".
Now I still enjoy eating but it isn't the main thing.  I can go anywhere and do anything without food being my focus.  If I go to a party it is to see the people there, not for the food.  I can go to the movies and not spend a fortune on popcorn and candy.  I don't live on fast food any more.  Before I couldn't go a day without a visit to a fast food place.  Now I haven't eaten at a fast food place in months although if I was in a pinch I am sure I could find something I could eat.
Anyway, that is enough.  I really didn't plan on going on so long but I guess when I think about how far I have come in the last 10 months I can't keep my mouth (or fingers) shut.
I wish everyone good luck.  WLS can help you change the way you eat.  It is a tool.  I don't have any hammers or screwdrivers in my house that can do anything while they sit in my tool box but I can take them out any time and use them and it sure helps get things done.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

jazzycatz
on 5/18/11 5:56 am - Joppa, MD
Congratulations!  Great post. 

redenallen
on 5/18/11 5:58 am
Congratulations.  Can't wait to get there too!

LADYBUG 75
on 5/18/11 6:56 am - Indianapolis, IN
Excellent post!  I am pre-op and still trying to figure out if I really want to do this... Can I really go without focusing on what yummy thing I'm going to eat next?  Will I be able to enjoy time with my family if it's not focused on the food we are eating?  You give me inspiration! Thanks!
Tina

Nothing will work unless you do.-- Maya Angelou

Ladytazz
on 5/18/11 7:09 am
 I can't guarantee it unfortunately.  With my first surgery I was still obsessed with food.  My surgeon left my stomach too large so I could eat a lot and I did nothing to change the way I ate.  It was as if I didn't have surgery.
I decided when I had my revision that this was my second chance and if I wanted to be successful I had to change the way I ate.  This time my stomach must be very small because I don't get hungry.  I also looked back at my dieting history and realized that every time I failed at a diet and regained weight it was because I decided to try to eat refined carbs in moderation.  Every time without fail.  So I realized that if I wanted to keep the weight off I needed to stay away from them.  Not eating them takes away the cravings and I really don't want it.  Having just a little cause me to crave more and not be able to resist after a while.  I have the same problems with food that I always have had.  The difference is that now I have a tool to help me eat less and be satisfied.  I really watch my portion sizes because I don't want to stretch things out so I weigh and measure everything, just about, unless I go out to eat.  Every time I do that I always think to myself "That is not enough.  I will still be hungry".  I tell myself that if I am still hungry after eating I can have more.  So far it has been enough and I have never had to go back for more.
As long as you look at the surgery as a way to help you change from the things you have been doing you should be alright.  My mistake the first time was thinking that the surgery was going to allow me to eat the way I had been and still lose weight.  It didn't work that way for me.

LADYBUG 75
on 5/18/11 7:28 am - Indianapolis, IN
Thanks for that!  Wish I could give you a hug to help you get through this rough time!  Hang in there!
Tina

Nothing will work unless you do.-- Maya Angelou

Ladytazz
on 5/18/11 7:00 am
 Opps, I forgot the pictures.

The first one was taken right before my first WLS in 2002.  I weighed 240lbs
The next one was from last Easter.

seattledeb
on 5/18/11 7:03 am
First off,  congrats on meeting your goal.
Second..sorry about your mom.
 Third..and most importantly..you are a non smoker. A non smoker does not smoke. A non smoker does not buy cigarettes. A non smoker does not pick up the first one. Repeat after me.."I am a non smoker..if I want a cigarette I will take a deep deep breath." "I do not smoke".
Take care,
Deb T. ..non smoker

Ladytazz
on 5/18/11 7:11 am
 Thanks, Deb.  I know there is no "just one little puff" for me.  That is why I put it out there, for encouragement and support.  It is just hard for me right now because I have some money in my pocket.  I am taking it one day at a time and looking at all the positive aspects of not smoking.

Amy R.
on 5/18/11 7:51 am
Congrats on your victory - you look incredible!

Also, I'm glad to see you decided to go see your Mom. Didn't you post a couple of weeks ago about not being sure you if you were actually gonna go down there or not? Anyway, I'm glad you get to say goodbye, as hard as that may be.