Hello group ... meet my new tummy!

merlinda
on 5/18/11 3:30 pm
As a few of you know, my surgery was May 11..... I think in time, that will be a big yeah for me.  For those of you that were concerned, my surgeon was correct with her assessment of my liver and we were able to work around it!!

I did have to go back to the hospital early Sunday morning due to an ileus. Apparently this is a rare complication of bariatric surgery, but a not so rare complication of surgeries in general.  In essence my bowels decided to take a break ... not good.  Not good at all.  I've never been so sick in all of my life, and I can say that Sunday was by far the worst day of my life.  I finally got to come home today (Wednesday)  Needless to say, I've not had the opportunity to use my new tummy in its first week of life, and let me just say is it ever a stranger ....

I do need your help .... First, did anyone have an heigtened sense of smell?  My God ... everything smells strong and disgusting!!!  

Secondly, I don't like sweet protein, yup!  My tastes buds did the 360 degree turn, and I can't stand the protein drink samples, the protein drink I LOVED prior to surgery, the Costco protein drinks ... it's the sweet.  I love my tomato soup, chicken broth etc ...., so you can imagine my dilemma here right?  My nutritional support person said I could make some "ehanced milk" with milk and powdered milk to use in my soup.  Does anyone else have an suggestions?  One more wee****il pureed ... seems like a long time. 

It's a foreign land with this tiny tummy ... I'm extra afraid that I won't drink enough, too much all that jazz .... I over did it on liquids and got sore tonight.  I'm back to the tiny ounce cups every 15 minutes.  Without it my paranoia of getting dehydrated leads me to drink too much water .... ugh.

I suppose thats enough rambling, but I couldn't help but wonder tonight.  What the hell have I done.  

Thanks for being here!! 

Merlinda
Ladytazz
on 5/18/11 3:37 pm
 Don't worry, your tastes may change yet again.  A lot of the change is because you are in ketosis, which makes every thing taste weird.
Do you have any unflavored protein powder?  I found unflavored whey isolate tastes the best.  If you do you can mix a little up with some water and add it to your soup or broth.
Sorry you had such a rough start.  Keep your eyes on the big picture and things will get better.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Jacobsmama08
on 5/18/11 3:50 pm - Morgan Hill, CA
Hi! Sorry you had a rough start... I am only slightly a head of you in the path here, but I will tell you that between the broth and the tomato soup I had some cream of wheat, instant cereal. It was the best thing ever!! A little salty, definitely not sweet, OMG, I totally know where you're coming from, I LOVED my shakes before hand, after everything was so sickenly sweet. I can tell you, when you can eat more, the shakes are easier to tolerate. Try the cream of wheat, gotta make it a little runny, I put a teeny tiny bit of butter... it was like heaven exploded in my mouth. You can even mix a little unflavored whey isolate protein in it if you want. And yes, smell and taste senses are like crazy! Totally normal! I think that too, all the time. WTF have I done??? Glad you're through the rough start... eye on the prize!

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

lwillmart
on 5/18/11 5:03 pm - Potsdam , NY
Wow sorry you had such a rough start but things do gey better.  I am 3 months post op and feel great.  No more what the hell was I thinking moments.  I have lost about 55 pounds and the surgery was one of the best choices I ever made.

Keep sipping the water for now but you will eventually be able to drink more.  I was scared of becoming dehydrated too but never did.

I didnt notice my sense of smell changing much but my taste buds sure did.  Like you everything tasted sweet.  I couldnt even drink milk but things seem to be back to normal now.  All in good time.

Stay strong and think positive and these first few weeks will pass and you'll be well on the road to a healthier slimmer you.

Laurel
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 5/18/11 9:55 pm
Heightened sense of smell is common after surgery.  I remember when I was in hospital 6 years ago (had an ovary removed) that the transport guy's breathe was so bad I was suprised the hospital employed him.  It wasn't until a few days later that I realized it was my nose in overdrive, not necessarily his breathe.

There is chicken broth flavored protein powder I have heard some talk about.  I think the brand is Unjury?  I'm not sure. 

Hope you feel better soon.

Winnie

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 355 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics