Liquid questions

Don27516
on 5/24/11 5:48 am - NC
 If you drink a protein shake or instant breakfast does that count as a meal? Does it count towards your hydrating liquids?

I drink Isopure zero carb Alpine Punch to supplement my protein. It has 40 grams of protein in a 20 ounce bottle. Does that count as a meal or towards my hydrating liquids? 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/24/11 5:56 am
Both. Meal and hydration.
I usually count 2/3 of the "liquid", since some of the volume is powder...
i.e.
20 oz Isopure - for me that will be 18 oz liquid + meal. (isopure is really "thin" drink)

When I make my own shake - I know exactly how much water - liquids I use. 8 Oz of water + protein powder - and many time I end up with what looks like 12  oz drink. But I know I only used 8 oz.

With thinner shakes - protein drinks - you can count more as liquid - but with thick ones - less water...  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 5/24/11 9:22 am
I was told that a protein drink or instant breakfast is a meal - and not to drink after either one, just like a meal. We want it to sit in our system long enough so the nutrients can be absorbed. Check with your doc - we are only suppose to absorb 25-30 gms of protein at a time  so you can't count 40 gms in your daily intake from the Alpine Punch.
Jen 9 yrs post op
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/24/11 9:27 am - OH
What Hala said...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 140 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views