seizures

jenbear
on 5/25/11 2:25 am - hagerstown , MD
im about 2 years out and i just had my first seizure on saturday am.  They said it was because my blood sugar was low.  Anyone ever heard of this happening to gastric bypass patients or yourself.  That was the first one i have ever had and mabe i will never have another, but if i do that will be my second and i will be diagnosed wit epilepsy!  So very scared!
(deactivated member)
on 5/25/11 3:17 am - North Brookfield, MA
So sorry you are going through that, my niece has seizures and it is scary. Take very good care of yourself, Lisa
waitinggame
on 5/25/11 3:20 am - Bowie, MD
I replied to the other note you sent, but be sure to look up reactive hypoglycemia.

I hope it turns out it isn't epilepsy!

Take good care of yourself!

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

turningpoint
on 5/25/11 3:27 am
do a search for Reactive Hypoglycemia.  Lots of RNY folks have it.  Diet can help control it.  Not everyone gets so low as to have seizures, but one member Melting Mama has a website or blog with lots of info.   Also Pam Tremble's website has some great info on it as well.

Get  a glucose meter and start tracking your sugar levels in relation to foods (or lack thereof) and you can sort of figure out your triggers.  Also figure out what is your hand carry around food to "save" you.  Usually some carbs and protein....ie spoonful of peanut butter and a cheese stick. those orange colored peanut butter crackers. 

Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
laura_vermont
on 5/25/11 3:43 am
Melting Mama has seizures too -- I'm sure that she would be helpful.  Try googling her blog.

Hope that your 1st seizure is your only one.  {{{HUGS}}}

Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Kim S.
on 5/25/11 4:11 am - Helena, AL
I have RH and once I started eating 6x a day, problem solved.  Must be protein first--simple carbs really trigger it.

Definitely get a meter and watch it, but cut out simple carbs/sugar and eat more often.

Wishing you the best.

Kim

jenbear
on 5/25/11 4:23 am - hagerstown , MD
omg im not a freak and im not gonna die!!!!!!  you dont know how happy this makes me!  ok i can eat 6 times a day, but give me an example of exactly what it is you eat, so i know exactly what you mean.  What kind of meter and when you feel it comming on what do you use to save you ?  Do you ever have a drink or two?  or is that a def no no for you now? Thanks so much for helping me
Chris N.
on 5/25/11 5:29 am

You're definitely not a freak!  :)  

I've had this problem for a few years now.  Had a few episodes that were later diagnosed as seizure activity.  I've also just plain passed out from low sugar.  I've been to a neurologist and still go because that's also about the time I started with horrid migraines, not related (that I can tell) to low sugar.  

I have learned to start picking up earlier on my reactive hypoglycemia symptoms so I can start bringing my sugar back up before it gets really bad.  I was dropping down into the 30's.   Now I can catch it when it's in the 50's.    I'm guessing that everyone has their own symptoms, just like dumping, so it's just figuring out what your specific symptoms are.  For me...I get a little light headed.  Then it goes to sweating for no reason.  Shaky all over.  Eventually I'm nauseaus....right before I pass out. 

When you get low, try for something with carbs and protein.  I always carry a pack of peanut butter crackers with me and I respond well to it.   If you go just for something sugary, you're setting yourself up for another drop in blood sugar.  The protein helps to keep your level stable once it comes back up.   This was told to me by an endocrinologist that specializes in post gastric bypass reactive hypoglycemia.  

To help keep from hitting the lows as often, make sure to always eat protein with anything heavy in carbs.   So if I'm going to have an english muffin for breakfast, I put peanut butter on it or an egg.   Fruit is paired with string cheese.  (Natural sugar gives me problems at times).  Or have a few almonds with your bite of chocolate! 

I have a meter (glucometer).  The endocrinologist gave it to me with a script for the strips.  Even your PCP can prescribe it for you if you tell them what the problem is.  Or you can buy them out right at any drug store but it'll cost you more than running it through insurance. 

I do drink and have found that alcohol, whether good or bad, doesn't bother my sugar levels that much.  Perhaps it because the body processes the sugar from alcohol differently...I don't know.  HOWEVER!!  I get drunk very easily.  As in 1 glass of wine and I'm in no shape to drive....and this is after 4 1/2 years post surgery.  Be VERY careful when drinking specifically because it is so easy to over do it. 

~*Chris*~

When one door of happiness closes, another opens:
but often we look so long at the closed door that
we do not see the one which has been opened for us.

Helen Keller

jenbear
on 5/25/11 6:10 am - hagerstown , MD

so what about exercise, i really like to exercise, and i like to stay mostly high protein low carb.  I feel like i was doing the right thing.  However i have heard that exercise can cause ur sugar to run low and i like to run!  so what do you think about that?  I didnt think it was alchohol but im def not gonna drink near as much and i do get night sweats is that what that is from?
Wow just makes me kinda crazy cause i never thought i would be dealing with this kinda stuff and they never said before i had surgery that your sugar levels could go down so low that you could have a seizure.  just makes me crazy!

Chris N.
on 5/25/11 8:05 am
I'm honestly not sure about exercise.   I've personally never had a problem with my sugar dropping from it but, again, everyone is different so it might be one of those things that you might experience.   My guess...make sure you have protein before you exercise. Like string cheese, some almonds or even a protein shake.  That hopefully will help.  

Night sweats could def. be that your sugar is dropping at night.  I don't often have episodes after I've been sleeping but it has happened.  This was one thing my endo was concerned with, actually.  She told me to start having a snack that included protein before going to bed if it started happening frequently.

Don't let it get to you too much.  It's definitely something you want to be aware of but it's also something that can, for most people, be managed through diet.   If it's really bothering you, then go see an endocrinologist.  Ask your surgeon for a referral to an endo that is knowledgeable with RH post RNY.    

~*Chris*~

When one door of happiness closes, another opens:
but often we look so long at the closed door that
we do not see the one which has been opened for us.

Helen Keller

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 441 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?