CPAP - Will pressure bother my pouch?

Rustys-Gal
on 5/24/11 1:18 pm - Chesapeake, VA

Need some help - RNY last Wed.5/18.   I have been feeling and generally doing great.  Yeah!! My question is about using my CPAP machine.  While I was in the hospital, the pressure from the oxyen worked for me so even though I had my CPAP with me, I didn't use it.  My pressure is @ 9, which isn't all that high, but since I've been home I am apprehensive on using it for fear the air flow will somehow cause a problem with my pouch.   Needless to say my sleep has been somewhat sporadic.

Appreciate comments/advise from fellow sleep apnea sufferers

Thanks

Sasrah1972
on 5/24/11 1:30 pm - NY
I am you! My surgery was 5/17. My cpap pressure is 11, but I was also told that the oxygen pressure was fine. I haven't worn mine since I came home, mostly out of fear (same concerns as you), but I actually sleep much, much better without it.

I'd say do what makes you feel most comfortable for now and helps you get good sleep, but check in with your doctor ASAP.
Jacobsmama08
on 5/24/11 1:36 pm - Morgan Hill, CA
I don't have sleep apnea or have a CPAP machine... but I have heard, very soon, you will wont even need it.

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

mrskreuter
on 5/24/11 2:13 pm
RNY on 02/24/11 with
I  was diagnosed during my RNY surgery with sleep Apnea I was discharged with a machine that I now use every night. It does not bother my pouch at all. In fact it has improved my sleep immensely. So don't be afraid use your machine and hopefully soon enough you will shrink out of it!!!!  

murdockt
on 5/24/11 2:35 pm - Redmond, OR
You need your cpap machine!!!! It is risky to go without it if you have sleep apnea. I had to bring my machine with me to the hospital and I had to wear it. The pressure doesn't affect your pouch. It is true that after losing weight, you may not have any obstruction. However, until you are tested again, YOU NEED IT!!!
janet2921
on 5/24/11 2:47 pm - Chicago, IL
I took my CPAP machine to the hospital as instructed.  I did not use it there.  I did not use it when I came home.  I'm just saying......

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."

cent100

FleurDeLis
on 5/24/11 3:08 pm
Someone recently did a study on this. It was in a peer-reviewed medical journal. There is no effect on the pouch.
mdolan20
on 5/24/11 7:32 pm - Brick, NJ
Once again...all doctors do their own thing! My doctor told me to wait at least 2 weeks so the forced air didn't distend anything...I think that's the word he used...Good luck!
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

IowaTeacher
on 5/24/11 8:48 pm
Just a word of caution:
Even after losing a lot of weight I just learned I still have sleep apnea. Thought I'd gotten rid of it with the weight loss, but even thin people can have apnea, so don't assume you will not need your machine after you lose weight.
Nancy

339/161/154
sw/cw/gw

Carebearny1999
on 5/24/11 10:15 pm - Rochester, NY
I used mine in the hospital and at home with no issues. Now once I dropped the first 60+ pounds I needed it turned down....you'll know--you'll get the gas pressure in your belly!
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 237 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 269 views