Heartburn and GERD relieved by RNY

samsander
on 5/28/11 4:40 am - CA
Hey all...

Wondering if anyone went into the RNY with the hope of GERD relief.

I did.... but did not get it. I am still on the Prevacid and even if I miss one day, I can feel the pain strong.

Any tips?

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

kimndan18
on 5/28/11 7:48 am - IA
Wow no tips, but mine was completely relieved, atleast to this point, 5 months out and have had no sign of it.

Ladytazz
on 5/28/11 8:22 am
 Mine is gone, too.  I didn't know at the time that it was a good choice for GERD but I haven't needed a Prilosec since about 3 months out.  I have been taking them for years.  It was so bad before with my previous surgery that I would wake up and throw up acid.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

johnsoca
on 5/28/11 8:32 am - Madison, AL
Sorry it didn't work out the way you hoped! My GERD is completely gone -- haven't had any omeprazole since before surgery, and haven't had even a hint of reflux.

immafatgirl
on 5/28/11 4:51 pm - KY
i to have gerd. i am pre-op. but what exactly is it?? my symptoms are . i constantly get faomy, slimy stuff up in my mouth without trying . and sometimes i feel as if im choking. is this gerd??at least that what the dr said .. can someone explain how they feel
Sheri W.
on 5/28/11 11:07 pm - GA
I am 6 months out and was hoping my acid reflux would be gone but it is so much better.  I only have to take my nexium 2-3 times a week instead of everyday or I would die.  I am still hoping it will get completely gone.

Lady Lithia
on 5/29/11 12:19 am
I did.

Recently I had an upper GI done, and my GI doc says that I have reflux as bad as ever. But he doesn't believe I have ANY acid producing cells in my pouch.

The only time I get a sense of acid in my esophagus is within twenty minutes to an hour of taking pills.... it's the stuff in the pills he says, irritating my esophagus.

Did you have a hiatal hernia preop? if so, and you still have signifcant acid-producing cells in your pouch, it can continue to plague you.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

samsander
on 5/29/11 2:40 am - CA
Yes, I did have a very large hiatal hernia... I didn't realize the connection. Do you know if those (HH) can come back after repair?

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

Lady Lithia
on 5/29/11 4:16 am
I honestly don't know, but it's worth investigating.... likely that is the source of your issues. I had GERD prior to WLS, and HAD WLS in order to eliminate the GERD. To my own perspectives, it IS cured..... but when you watch it on the Upper GI camera thingie, boy do I have some serious reflux.... but I don't feel it because I have no acid. I didn't have a hiatal hernia, or anything else that could be surgically cured. RNY was the only HOPE I had to cure it, and it is cured as far as symptoms. I know that those with the HH can have issues with the GERD in spite of the RNY.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Most Active
Recent Topics