What are the symptoms of an ulcer for someone with gastric bypass?

Suzanna D.
on 6/3/11 12:46 pm - Pensacola, FL
A good friend of mine is experiencing discomfort and is trying to figure out if she has an ulcer.  Please post any info you have about this.  Thanks!!!

roan1959
on 6/3/11 1:14 pm
I got my ulcer at about 5 weeks out.  Did good for the first 2 weeks or so...food, protein, water.  Then my stomach just started to hurt, burn.  I had trouble getting in food, and then couldnt even get in 20 oz of water.  when it got to that point, my surgeon told me to come in to the ER.  I found out I was dehydrated and they did a scope and found the ulcer.  If your friend is having any trouble at all with getting fluids in, please have them call their surgeon or go to the ER.  dehydration is NOT fun..and very dangerous.  Good luck and keep us posted on how your friend is doing...    Joan
Become what you believe..........  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

*  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat        **BELOW GOAL**  
Suzanna D.
on 6/3/11 1:19 pm - Pensacola, FL
Thank you Joan.  I passed the information from your post reply to my friend.  I greatly appreciate you taking the time to reply.  Have a Great weekend!

hazelnut6
on 6/3/11 8:54 pm
I had very sharp pain that wouldn't go away no matter what I did.  It was slightly to the left of the upper center of my abdomen.  Mine was where the pouch meets the duodendum...I was told that is a pretty common spot.  I was put on Cerofate syrup for 6 weeks and my dose of nexium was increased.  I felt better within 24 hours and the ulcer healed very well.

beatrice00
on 6/4/11 12:19 am - NY
RNY on 04/10/12 with
I started throwing up everything I ate that was not pureed. There was no pain in the beginning. An endoscopy found my ulcer at 6 weeks post op. A few weeks later I could only have liquids and had stabbing pain in the pouch area that landed me in the hospital.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/4/11 6:51 am - OH
It's pretty much the same as for someone who has NOT had gastric bypass... the major symptom is burning or pain after eating (can be right after eating or a while after) when there is NO pain if you don;t eat , especially if the pain gets better if you drink milk or take an antacid (although an ulcer from NSAIDs can form in the remnant stomach and will cause pain that will not respond to antacid, etc.).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.