Sleep Apnea

Don27516
on 6/7/11 10:58 pm - NC
 I have been sleeping with a BiPap for 18 years. My last sleep study was three years ago when I weighed 330 pounds. I am down to 243 pounds now (surgery weight at 290, 7 weeks ago). Should I start thinking about another sleep study to adjust my pressures, or should I wait until I have finished losing weight? I think my pressures might be too high right now. I have been waking up with a very dry mouth. How likely is it that I will be able to put my BiPap in the closet and stop using it some day?

Dave Chambers
on 6/7/11 11:15 pm - Mira Loma, CA
This topic was discussed at the support meeting I attended last night.  Many in attendance stated that they had graduated from a bipap to a cpap and/or had to reduce their pressure on their cpap units.  One of the regular attendees, who happens to be a nurse and the support group leader both recommended you get re-evaluated when you lose each 40 pounds or so. There is a test (sounds almost like hyptertension, but don't remember the name of the test) that can be done relatively easily.  Many in attendance (including me) had weaned ourselves off our cpap units over a few weeks or months post op.  Usually, the pressure becomes uncomfortable for sleeping as you lose significant weight.  It's highly likely you'll be off of that machine in coming weeks or months.  But, if you have real concerns,  I'd consult your pulmanologist in the near future to get a medical opinion.  I know that I had to always used a hydration tank inline with my cpap or I'd have very dry nasal passages.  I still used my cpap unit for 6 months post op--probably more of a "security blanket" issue, than a medical necessity.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Don27516
on 6/7/11 11:23 pm - NC
 Thanks, Dave! I am down 85 pounds since my last sleep study. I guess it might be time to call my doctor. I am really bad about filling my BiPap with water. My sinuses are really dry. Since I am a widower I guess I could try not using my BiPap, but like you said, it is kind of a security blanket.

dufiedog
on 6/7/11 11:30 pm
I have had the same issue with my CPAP.  I went to my Dr. and he adjusted it down.  He said he didn't want to do another sleep study until I had lost all the weight I wanted to lose.  It really wasn't a big deal.  I'm hoping to be off of it completely before too much longer.

nfarris79
on 6/8/11 12:01 am - Germantown, MD
 I had been diagnosed with mild OSA at pre-op and my sleep dr told me to come in sometime this summer to be re-evaluated as he didn't want to put me on CPAP if the surgery makes a major difference. My husband said he hasn't heard me snore or stop breathing in the couple months since surgery! 

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 109 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views