2nd day of liquid diet - HORRIBLE HEADACHE!!!!

Amy T.
on 6/7/11 5:31 am - CA
So today is my second day of my liquid diet before surgery on Friday.  I woke up with a horrible headache.... its so bad I feel sick to my stomache.  

Not really hungry.  I have been keeping busy, but this headache is stopping me in my tracks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!  
Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

Jenny_D
on 6/7/11 5:34 am - Canton, GA
Drink more water! Maybe some Vitamin Water or Gatorade. You may be a bit dehydrated.
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

Jenners
on 6/7/11 5:38 am - Indianapolis, IN
Caffeine headache? When i go off caffeine, i get massive headaches and just generally feel blah. It's a drug, so your body goes through withdrawls.
~*~JEN~*~     

HW: 406   SW: 358   CW: 231      
nomoresugar
on 6/7/11 5:38 am
Have you stopped caffeine?  That withdrawal can give me a monster headache.  Hope you feel better soon.
Sillycar
on 6/7/11 6:27 am
Hi, Amy-

I had the exact same thing. I took 3 aleve and survived. Since we are preop, aleve is still ok. It sucks but it does pass by day 3 or maybe even 4.

Holly
kaleidos
on 6/7/11 7:19 am
Actually Aleve or any other meds that can thin your blood are NOT OK this close to surgery.My surgeon had me stop everything that might cause excessive bleeding  - including NSAIDS (Advil, Aleve, aspirin - including baby aspirin) 10 days before surgery to prevent excess bleeding. You can take Tylenol but that is about it for pain management.

It can be caffeine withdrawal, but it can also be low blood sugar, dehydration, nerves, excess house cleaning. ;)

Drink lots more (cannot drink too much) and check your blood sugar if you can. Also call your MD's office and double check the NSAID restrictions ('tho that is pretty standard before any major planned surgery) if you really feel you need it - and if your blood sugar is too low get suggestions about what to do. I dropped the dose on my meds last week because my blood sugar dropped so much when I started the liquid diet.

If you took an NSAID make sure you tell your surgeon before surgery.

RNY Scheduled for  6/13/11

Weight loss includes 57.7 pounds before surgery. Not weighing until 2 weeks after surgery.
Mia H.
on 6/7/11 6:03 pm - OH
I am having a bad reaction to my arterial blood gas test.  The tech hit a nerve and been having arm pain from it.  My surgeon said the same thing when I called them about it on Monday.  I am 2 weeks out and she said no NSAIDS for the same reason, the only thing I can take for pain right now is Tylenol.

Lady Lithia
on 6/7/11 7:22 am
When I first altered my diet substantially I had really BAD headaches.

Withdrawal from caffeine was one of my suspected culprits.... that can cause headaches

Withdrawal from refined carbs is another one, it will give you a lot of weird symptoms, including headaches.

It's the sort of thing you have to press through. There are likely other highly processed foods and chemicals in those foods that you are feeling their absence.

I feel for ya though I've had 10 days of migraine-level headaches in a row.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Amy T.
on 6/7/11 8:35 am - CA
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!  I did not take anything, as my doc was pretty insistant that I couldn't take anything 5 days prior to surgery.  

I think it was actually dehydration....  I drank 6 glasses of crystal light and am feeling better.  I knew it wasn't caffeine, as I quit that 2 months ago and boy did I have a whopper of a week long headache during that process!

I guess I wasn't paying attention to my liquid intake,  which is good to find out now rather than after surgery on Friday!

Thanks again for the support!  I appreciate everyone's wisdom and willingness to help a fellow WLS'er....

Enjoy your evening!
Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

Most Active
Recent Topics