RNY Surgery with Rheumatoid Arthritis

oceansunset70
on 6/8/11 9:16 pm - RI
Hi I'm went to see the surgeon for the second time and he wasn't there and his nurse saw me instead.She said in his report that it was best for sleeve than rny but my insurance don't cover sleeve only rny..Because i have RA that sleeve is better but i made my mind up about rny plus i need to alot of weight, sleeve will only let me get 40-60% of my over weight where rny i can get much more.Yesterday the nurse i talk to the other day called me and said that the doctor wants to see me again, i asked why?>and she said he wants to talk to you some more. I am hope this is not a shoot down that i cant have it ..i passed all my pretesting for insurance..but anyways my question is Did anyone have RNY with Ra and what is the most importance i need to know about it..

Plus i know after surgery i cant take my regular meds because of new pouch so my RA doctor told me she would put me on injectables for my RA which i am ok with .Anything else should i know .
Thanks
Pam

IowaTeacher
on 6/8/11 9:44 pm
I have severe RA and had RNY 2 years ago. I miss my NSAIDS that's for sure. I'm still able to do methotrexate and the biologics---just switched to Orencia. If I had to do over I might have done the sleeve if my ins would have covered it due to NSAID issue.

I wish I could tell you the surgery help the RA, but it didn't. It does allow me to exercise now and that helps the joints.

PM if you'd like. Good luck!
Nancy

339/161/154
sw/cw/gw

oceansunset70
on 6/8/11 9:52 pm - RI
Im not looking for a cure to cure my Ra but i know that nsaids arent good for you either..so in once sense i guess they say u take the good with the bad..I do great with methotrexate..which i know ill probably go on injectable methotrexate...which is fine..I dont take much nsaids now ..im only be diagnose with ra for about 1 1/2 years ..just in my hands and feet....Thanks for listening to me ..
Pam
Judi J.
on 6/9/11 12:35 am - MN
what about the DS? I know you'd have to switch surgeons but they can still take NSAIDS. My Mom has RA and I'm still hoping I won't get it. Best of luck to you, arthritis sucks
gbsinsatx
on 6/9/11 12:54 am - San Antonio, TX
 I have moderately severe RA throughout my body and Osteoarthritis in my knees. I had RNY and I have never formally exercised. We can no longer take NSAIDS with RNY, that is why some get VSG. I never took NSAIDS very often (I have a high pain tolerance). My insurance only covered RNY. I am very happy with my decision. I take Methotrexate and Plaquenil orally and I take Cimzia by injection. I am doing well.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

johnsoca
on 6/9/11 1:58 am - Madison, AL
If he thinks that RNY isn't the best choice for you becvause of your RA, your surgeon could ask for an exception to coverage for you to have VSG or DS due to your medical need for medication that can't be taken after RNY.

oceansunset70
on 6/9/11 3:06 am - RI
well my insurance will not cover DS or VSG and i tried talking to the insurance in regard to both and they will "only " cover RNY so i just got clearance from my RA doctor she think RNY is the best for me and she said she will put me on injectable meds to control my Ra ...so if all goes ill get a answer from surgeon next tuesday ..Yippie..

BTW i weight all my opions and i truely cant afford to pay for it myself so no matter what RNY is the choice ..plus DS isnt done in my state ...already asked about that and VSG wont be covered by my medical ....so i am truely happen with my decision plus with the weight i have to loose RNY is the best i need to loose 150+ lbs..so i think ill be good...

I know the pain isnt going to be fun for the first couple of days but heck ive had gallbladder out and a hystecretomy..so i was good with both surgeries..so i think ill do fine...

Thanks again..
PAm
Most Active
Recent Topics