If you could do it over

mcrmsi77
on 6/13/11 6:00 am - IN
Rny ppl if you could do it over would you have the sleeve? I have heard lots on people that do the rny say this? If so why?

poet_kelly
on 6/13/11 6:10 am - OH
Yes, I would.  So I could take NSAIDS and so I didn't have to worry so much about vitamin deficiencies.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dave Chambers
on 6/13/11 6:15 am - Mira Loma, CA
No.  There are 2 sisters in one of my support groups. One had a sleeve 18 months ago, and hers sister had the rny 1 year ago.  The RNY sister has lost more than her sleeved sister.  But the RNY sister says her sister has learned to cheat with the sleeve, so her wt loss was only 80 pounds at 18 months, and she could stand to lose anotherr 60-70 pounds (I've met this sister at a previous meeting).  You have no malabsorption with the sleeve, Type II diabetes will likely not be resolved, no dumping (so you can eat lot of fatty or sugary foods), no relief of GERD, no reversal of the sleeve (only possible revision to a RNY).  There is a lot more long range data on RNY patients as this surgery has been done for around 20 years, whereas the sleeve was not commonly done until about 18 months ago.  I'd recommend attending some support meetings to help you make up your mind. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

ebonykitten
on 6/14/11 6:55 am
hey dave, dr suh did my rny on may 20, im still not loving it, ive only lost 11 pounds, but im off my blood pressure and diabetes medicine..i guess i need to be patient.. its hard when the scales not moving and the funny pains in my side.. but i only had 60 pounds to lose at surgery time..
(deactivated member)
on 6/13/11 6:19 am - Boston, MA
 the sleeve sounds great, but I needed to lose 200 pounds and I think I need the malabsorption of RNY.  So far so good!
_Donna_
on 6/13/11 6:20 am
I still go back and forth. I'm only 5 1/2 weeks out and on bad days I wish I had the sleeve, but most days I'm glad I had RNY.

RNY 5-5-2011

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/13/11 6:28 am
Absolutely.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sjweiser
on 6/13/11 6:34 am
 Hi if I had to do it again. I would still choose the RNY. It gave me my life back.
cajungirl
on 6/13/11 6:47 am
If I knew I'd have enough self control without the malabsorption Yes. I don't think I would have the success I've had with the RNY though.  Somedays taking all these vitamins and knowing it's FOREVER is overwhelming, especially when you find yourself with a deficiency and feel horrible.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/13/11 6:49 am - OH
I probably would have the sleeve.  With the sleeve there is no restriction on taking NSAIDs and there is no need for all the vitamin supplements because of the intestinal bypass.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views