pt 2..pre-op ? what was ur starting weight? asking because

2nd_Chance_Chick
on 6/13/11 7:33 am
Thanks for the info.

I know what i'm doing,I have it all planned-plans to give you the future you hope for.Jeremiah 29:11(The Message)

With God's Will, I was approved!

curvaceousdiva
on 6/13/11 7:34 am - Hyattsville, MD
just mentioned this earlier..BUT with comobitities I can understand why you want to have it but at 248 around a size 18 Iwouldnt have had it if I didnt have fat illnesses.. oh my highest was around 290
Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
Holly O.
on 6/13/11 7:51 am - FL
I am 5'2 and weigh 242 lbs.  I am having surgery this Wednesdy........I ave co-morbilities as well..........doc wants me to lose 120 lbs.  Don't let other people's opinion sway you..........I tried the lapband 4 1/2 yrs. ago and it didn't work out well for me........to many problems and it didn't solve my problems..........for me this is the way to go RNY.  Hang in there!!  -Holly
   Holly                                      
MSW will not settle
on 6/13/11 7:55 am, edited 6/13/11 8:07 am
I started out weighing 237.5 lbs; BMI 40.8; 85 lbs to loose 80% of the excess weight; and 93 lbs from a normal BMI.  They call us light weights.  Reality is, obesity is painful for us too.   Obesity is still kiling us even if we don't look like we need surgery to some folks.  Bravo for not allowing an arbitrary 100 lb mark to make your decision.  BMI is imperfect but at 4' 10" and 200 lbs it better describes your needs than weight. 

Check out the light weight's forum.  Its there for those of us starting out with around 100 lbs or so to loose and bmi's in the lower obese/ higher overweight ranges.   For many loosing 80 lbs is as hard as loosing 100 lbs or more.  It is the greater percentage of our excess weight that makes the seemingly low number so difficult. 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

2nd_Chance_Chick
on 6/13/11 8:52 am

Thanks. will do.

I know what i'm doing,I have it all planned-plans to give you the future you hope for.Jeremiah 29:11(The Message)

MastoDon
on 6/13/11 8:47 am - Los Gatos, CA
I was 312 pounds at my surgeon's first weigh-in, my heaviest recorded weight.  At 5'11'', I think that made my BMI somewhere around 34 or 35.
Getting my RNY has, so far, proved to the second-best decision I have ever made.  The first-best?  Marrying my dear wife.

Learning to swim was easy.  The hard part was getting out of that burlap sack.  Those rocks were heavy.
High: 310    Surgery day: 282     Goal: 190     Current: 178

2nd_Chance_Chick
on 6/13/11 8:53 am
thanks and.....awwwww,sooo sweet to say that about her.

PatXYZ
on 6/13/11 8:57 am
I'm 5'2" and 225, also a lightweight, but with many co-morbids. I'd love to lose an even 100 pounds, though I'd be content with 85-90. Ignore people who don't think you're 'fat enough'... how big do they think we should get before we can access a realistic weight loss option? Check out the light weight board for support related to this.

BTW - my comment the other day wasn't intended to be snarky - I posted again to clarify.
Celia S.
on 6/13/11 9:56 am, edited 6/13/11 9:57 am - Grand Junction, CO
My highest recorded weight was last year at 385lbs. I'm 5'6" and my BMI was 62.1. Right now I weigh 369 with a BMI of 59.5. I am pre-op... hoping to have my surgery sometime late August/early September.

Surprisingly, the only comorbidity I MIGHT have is sleep apnea, but I'm not even sure about that. So obesity affects everyone differently and at different times! I know if I don't do something about my weight I won't be able escape the comorbids much longer!

No matter what anyone says, they only opinions that matter are those of you and your surgeon. Only you can make the decision that is in your best interest. Trust me. I caught a lot of flack from my family when I changed my mind from band to bypass, but the numbers with the band are just not impressive and even if I worked it to the best of my ability, I don't think I would end up losing as much weight as I feel would make surgery worth it. It's too much to go through to still be more than 100lbs overweight!

Good Luck with your journey! :)

laurynbro
on 6/13/11 12:19 pm - GA
I chose to have RNY @ 218#, 5'4" with BMI of 36.  With my small frame, I would like to lose around 80 -85 lbs.  RNY will stop my Diabetes, the neuropathy, improve my Asthma, and hopfully come off my BP med.  Had 1/2 of my thyroid out and both my PCP and surgeon have verified this is my solution to a healthier me!  My final decision came when our family went to Disney World and on day 4... I was in alot of pain with walking...day 5... I went in a wheelchair everywhere because I could not walk...my family was so Great about helping me get around, but I decided then... that is not how I want to vacation!  You have to do what is Best for your situation...I am!  Good Luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics