pt 2..pre-op ? what was ur starting weight? asking because

2nd_Chance_Chick
on 6/13/11 12:45 pm

thanks. my target loss is 75-85 pounds.

I know what i'm doing,I have it all planned-plans to give you the future you hope for.Jeremiah 29:11(The Message)

With God's Will, I was approved!

2nd_Chance_Chick
on 6/13/11 12:40 pm, edited 6/13/11 12:46 pm
hey thanks.
i appreciate ur comment and yes i was instructed to check out the lw forum. i like that forum.
i have been reading post for about an hour now. i like the topics and everyone is very supportive and friendly.
I wasw telling another oh'er...i did'nt know that i had to be near 300 pounds in order to get rny. it's like i am not heavy enough for rny even though i battle with weight sticking from meds that i take from steroids.
i am not going to apologize for being happy at 140 for a long time and wanting rny because i flip flop from 198-200 punds. i was'nt overweight as a child,teen nor young young adult so i don't know what it feels like to be picked on or not to ride water park rides comfortably. i feel for those that have had to deal with that because no one deserves that. i get hit on often by dudes even at 198 and have younger male friends that are 10-12 years younger than me.
 my weight gain  happened to me about 6 years ago and i don't like it. not use to it and therefor want it gone by having rny.

I know what i'm doing,I have it all planned-plans to give you the future you hope for.Jeremiah 29:11(The Message)

With God's Will, I was approved!

flyingwoman
on 6/13/11 1:10 pm
My highest weight was 415, my pre-op diet weight was 386, my day of surgery weight was 360.

I would never have had surgery at your weight... not judging, just saying.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/13/11 1:22 pm - OH
I'm sorry that you feel like people are saying that you have to be "300 pounds" to have surgery.  I think perhaps you are reading things into their comments that were not intended, though.  I cannot speak for everyone, of course, but I have been here a long time and I know that I *do* speak for a number of others when I say that the intent is NOT to tell you that you don't deserve surgery (or however you are interpreting it), but that -- as people who have already been down this road and know how hard it is and know how your whole life changes and how the commitment to the extensive vitamin regimen is lifelong -- we realize the FULL impact of having this surgery and know that there are people who do it without fully realizing what they are signing up for and who (deep down) really do expect it to not be a big deal.  It IS a big deal, and because we realize how MUCH of a big deal it is, we also realize that it should be a last resort and that the negatives of being a RNY post-op would far outweigh the positives for us personally if we had "only" needed to lose 80 pounds... and therefore we want people to consider whetehr it really IS worth it for a much smaller amount of weight than most RNYers need to lose.

You need to do what is right for you, of course, but I wanted to try to explain because I think you are misinterpreting at least SOME of the responses (and it seems to be making you angry).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

PatXYZ
on 6/13/11 1:31 pm
Of course I realize how big of a deal it is... why would anyone assume that I don't simply because I have less weight to lose? Why would someone on here think I hadn't carefully evaluated my options and spoken with my doctors to arrive at the appropriate course of treatment? It's disrespectful and it is a form of bullying - this is why the light weights board needs to exist!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/14/11 3:48 am, edited 6/14/11 6:02 am - OH
Wow, you are REALLY skilled at reading **** that is NOT THERE into stuff! First of all, my response was NOT to you and second of all, it was a GENERAL statement that some people have surgery without realizing what a big deal it is. It doesn't have a damn thinbg to do with how much anyone weighs (so why do YOU assume that it does?!?)! I am not sure what I ever did to you (as far as I know I have never replied to you about anything at all), but it seems ike you have one giant chip on your shoulder.

Lora
(edited to correct typos since half my screen on my Blackberry has gibberish over the top of it when I post from there...)

PatXYZ
on 6/14/11 7:07 am
I think you're the one getting worked up here Lora. My comment was also general, I didn't accuse you of anything specifically. I was responding to the idea that you think perhaps the poster was making something personal when it isn't, and what I'm saying it that there is clearly prejudice against 'light weights' because I have experienced it too! My comment was meant to demonstrate that I have also encountered the attitudes the original poster posted about, which is why I don't have my height and weight on my ticker.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/14/11 7:17 am - OH
Funny, your response sure SEEMED to be directed at me...  asking why *I* would assume, etc.  (when you could just have easily said "why would someone assume...")

I'm sorry if you have encountered what you believe is prejudice, but your response to me certainly did not help the situation.

Lora

PatXYZ
on 6/14/11 7:56 am
If you read it again, you'll see that it clearly says "why would ANYONE assume"... it wasn't directed at any one individual, but was relevant to the comments you had made previously. I'm curious what you mean about my response not helping the situation? Are you implying that it somehow justifies discrimination against light weights or that I ought not to be treated better because I speak plainly and directly?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/14/11 9:27 am - OH
I stand corrected... you did say ANYONE... but since it was directed at me, I took it that way. 

No, I am not saying that anything justifies ANYTHING.  I said what I said because when I attempted to explain WHY some people might be questioning lightweights that has NOTHING AT ALL to do with being judgmental or discrimintaory, you jumped down my throat with asking why people would assume that YOU did not know what you were gettign into...  not very conducive to dialogue or building bridges.

Lora

Most Active
Recent Topics