Inspired

Amy_Kleve
on 6/15/11 1:00 pm, edited 6/16/11 6:57 am - Adrian, MN
I was denied the DS yesterday. I put in an appeal for DS today. If the appeal doesn't go through, I am confident that RNY will be a GREAT option if my insurance approves that. ANYTHING is better than having this crap-band, even not having any weight loss surgery tool.

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

Heidi L.
on 6/15/11 3:38 pm - San Jose, CA
RNY on 09/21/10 with
What a punch in the gut!

What are your reasons for DS instead of RNY?

I've heard that the third appeal is the charm for most insurance companies.

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#

Amy_Kleve
on 6/15/11 10:12 pm - Adrian, MN
I didn't mean for it to be a punch in the gut. I'm sorry if I came off that way.
Idk if I interpreted my surgeon right when he compared the 2 surgeries. He said with the DS you slowly go down in weight every year and level out several years down the road. He said with the RNY, the weight comes off very quick the first 6 months to a year. And then you start to gain it back. That's why I chose the DS. Ive always had it in my brain that the DS was the right choice for me. Maybe I'm wrong.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/15/11 10:30 pm - Baltimore, MD
While I understand that you feel the DS is the better surgery, coming here, where most of us have HAD RNY and saying you are settling for what is now our lifestyle is a bit...disrespectful, don't you think?

I mean if someone came into three bedroom townhouse and said, "I wanted a mansion but I guess I'll have to settle for a house like this one..." how would you feel?

That being the case, I don't feel particularly inspired to inspire you. However, I will give you my truth.

The majority of DSers I know lost weight FASTER than RNYers and bottomed out lower. I know some who have gained weight back and some who have not. With my surgery, I lost the bulk of my weight in the first six months (100 lbs) with the rest of my losses (55 lbs.) over the next six months. Since the one year mark I have not lost any significant amount of weight. I did have a bounce back and I'm now very comfortable in my body. I went from a size 26 to a size 10, from a 48 HH bra to a 36 DD. I can run, walk, Zumba and I have lots more energy. I also have a good measure more self esteem than I have ever had before.

If you want the DS, you're probably going to have to fight for it. It can be done. If I were you I'd head over to the DS board and get some advice about filing an appeal.

If I were you, and I wanted truly helpful advice, I might also consider editing the original message because it doesn't really foster the spirit of helpfulness.

Just my four cents.
Amy_Kleve
on 6/16/11 7:01 am - Adrian, MN
I changed my original message. I do apologize that I sounded harsh. I do respect the RNY surgery, I REALLY do! I have friends and family that have had it and they are all doing wonderful. You are all doing wonderful as well
I was SO over whelmed yesterday with all of the news I was getting. I didn't type out the words that I was thinking correctly.
Please accept my apologies

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 290 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 215 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics