Any revise prox gp to distal gb?

randy S.
on 6/23/11 4:47 am - brooklyn, NY
Are u okay with the revision from prox gb to distal gb. What have been ur experiences. Good and bad plz!
Thank you
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/23/11 5:10 am - OH
No experience to help you with, but I am curious as to why -- since the caloric malabsorption is temporary regardless of the amount bypassed -- someone would do such a revision.  Not trying to be critical... just curious about what the benefit would be.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

randy S.
on 6/23/11 5:15 am - brooklyn, NY
Is it really temporary? Had no clue.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/23/11 5:39 am - OH
Yes, the caloric and fat malabsorption is only temporary.  Almost immediately after surgery your body starts to grow new villi in the portion of your intestine that is NOT bypassed in order to make up for the bypassed portion.   The body can restore absorption of about 80-90%.   How long the process takes varies from person to person (12-24 months), but most sources indicate that the malabsorption is overcome by 18 months or so out.  (Most of the studies have been done on patients who had portions of the intestine removed because of cancer.)

The vitamin "malabsorption", however, is permanent because it is not really "malabsorption"... it is that the portion of the intestine that is capable of absorbing many of the vitamins and micronutrients is the bypassed portion (and the body cannot modify the remaining intestine to absorb things it was not intended to absorb).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Judi J.
on 6/23/11 5:23 am - MN
Randy: have you emailed Vitalady? not pm, but email. She has a distal and knows people who have been revised to everything.

I would email her with your questions and the name of your surgeon.

good luck!
cajungirl
on 6/23/11 7:34 am
I agree with Judi. Email [email protected].

I know you were looking into the DS. Is that not a possible solution now?

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

randy S.
on 6/23/11 7:43 am - brooklyn, NY
Sorry i didnt explain on this board. I will x podt when i get to my computer. I put it on the ds for
Most Active