If I drink another protein shake

Wes J.
on 6/25/11 12:37 am - MI
I think I am going insane. I am so over protein shakes. The only ones I could stand were the Myoplex chocolate shakes that I drank pre op. I can't wait to eat anything that isn't a protein shake! Give me some yogurt, anything but friggin protein shakes! Have any of you had similar feelings? 
Donnaslifepart2
on 6/25/11 12:41 am - Canada
Are you just newly post-op?  That feeling is common.  I had to drink Boost diabetic, similar to Ensure and I hated it.  Pureed phase will be better.  Hang in there.
Kelly S.
on 6/25/11 12:45 am - MA
 Hi Wes! I felt that way about Stage 3 - cottage cheese, yogurt, protein shakes.  I was never a big dairy person and all I could have for weeks was dairy.  YUCK! It was the longest two + weeks ever!  

ices.  Have you tried the EAS AdvantEdge shakes?  Ready-made, (Walmart is least expensive, 4pak for about $5).  Dark chocolate (3 net carbs) is pretty delish, but they also have chocolate fudge (2 net carbs), strawberry cream and french vanilla (1 net carb).  I don't mind any of them.  They are smooth, not chalky or gritty and have a better than decent taste...110 calories, 17 g of protein.  

It will get better ~ before you know it, you'll have many more choices! These are just stages ;)

Kelly

Amy T.
on 6/25/11 12:46 am - CA
I AGREE!!!  I am 15 days post op and about a week post op I switched over to 1% milk (with the OK from my surgeon and NUT) with some Toriani SF Chocolate syrup in it.  Granted,  at a week out I was able to go to puree foods, so I wasn't getting all my protein from milk,  however I would much rather drink milk than protein shakes.  I now drink 3 8 oz. glasses of milk a day in between my meals for a total of 30 g of protein.  So, half of my daily protein comes from milk.  

Good luck.  This too shall pass.
Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

Jacobsmama08
on 6/25/11 1:30 am - Morgan Hill, CA
Premier Protein Shakes, that are ready to drink are not so bad,  and Syntax Nectar mixes up like juice, I love the Fuzzy Navel flavor... I take it to school, a double shot of that and water and lots of ice in my blendar bottle and sip on it all morning.... double shot= 40 grams of protein. And it's cold and refreshing. Not gritty or lumpy or protein shake tasting. Check it out!

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

Holly O.
on 6/25/11 1:36 am - FL
Yup...........feel the same way!!  I am 10 days post-op and yesterday I had  a couple of really good crys.  My poor hubby!!  3 more days I can start introducing yogurt, cream of wheat, cream soups...........for another week plus protein shakes!!  I am counting the days..........I'm over shakes too!!!  -Holly
   Holly                                      
Melissalove3
on 6/25/11 2:11 am - Portland, OR
I went through it too!!! I told my NUT at my one month that I couldn't even gag one down. She told me to just keep trying and that eventually I would start liking them again, she said around month three, then she told me to just keep drinking milk and as much other proteins as I could get down. She was right by month 3 I was OK again... So weird!!!

Mia H.
on 6/25/11 2:24 am - OH
 Being 5 days post-op that is all I am basically drinking and eating.  Not a big fan of it.  I did discover somthing this morning that is pretty good.  I took one RTD Muscle Milk Light vanilla and blended it with a some frozen strawberries, banana and peaches (it was already all cut up in one bag at the grocery store).  It was pretty good.  It took me a little over an hour to drink all of it, but it's 15 g of protein and 11 oz of liquid.  I bought some Isopure which looks like koolaid/juice drink rather than a milky type drink.  I haven't had it yet, but that is my next thing to try.  If you have a Vitamin Shoppe nearby they sell all these protein drinks in indvidual bottles as well so you can give one a try. 

onyxstang
on 6/25/11 2:44 am - MCKINLEYVILLE, CA
Have you tried the Adkins and Body for Life? Those are the two I can stand :)  I've been out six years now. You will get used to it - soon you will be able to mix it up with real protein. Just takes time.
amberd910
on 6/25/11 7:18 am - CT
I am 6 1/2 week post op and I finally found protein that I can tolerate since I hate chocolate and everyone always loves it. Anyways it's Unjury brand, the vanilla or strawberry. What I really like is 3/4 scoop of vanilla with 1/4 scoop strawberry in the blender with 8 oz fat free or 1% milk. I serve it over ice. It tastes just like a strawberry milkshake. It's really good.
I also will do 1 scoop of vanilla with a splash of imitation vanilla in the blender with 8 oz milk. Served over ice it tastes close to a vanilla milkshake.
Now, with this protein drink I make (29 g protein with the milk) I average about 80 grams of protein a day my dr office recommends minimum of 60, more the better!
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 309 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 326 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 281 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 447 views