one week out of surery, am I eating too much

Tammy R.
on 6/28/11 4:46 am - Covina, CA
The first few days after surgery I could hardly eat. Now I can easily eat a little cup of jello and a cup of protein drink. I thought I would only be able to eat 2 oz.....hmmmm

BTW.. I cant figure out how to change my surgery type and date, help?
lapband 7/08 revised to rny 7/11

Jenny_D
on 6/28/11 5:05 am - Canton, GA
I could eat a jello cup or a protein hake that early out. Not both at the same time, though.

As for your profile - go to 'my account' and then select "My Journey" from the menu in the left column.
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

Heather0115
on 6/28/11 6:11 am - CA
Jello turns to liquid and pretty much goes through your pouch without much delay, as does the protein shake. Once you begin eating more solid foods, no more than 1/2 C at any one time. When I follow this, my pouch is very happy. When I try to get in more than 1/2 C my pouch is very angry.

I am 8 weeks out, but I my progress was delayed by a stricture at 3 weeks post op. Took me 2 weeks to get back on track with solids after the endoscopy to dilate.

It sounds like you are doing OK.

Heather in San Diego
HW-255, GW-140 CW-141

Amy R.
on 6/28/11 6:34 am
What are your surgeons guidelines?

I ask only because they are all so different - most of us on the board can't tell you if you're eating "too much" or not.

I was on clear liquids, not even any protein shakes, the first two weeks post op. So according to my surgeon's instructions, yes, you are eating too much.

Some folks come home from the hospital already on soft foods. According to their surgeons instructions, sounds like you're doing great.

See what I mean? What are YOUR surgeon's instructions?
(deactivated member)
on 6/28/11 6:52 am - CA
  We  have the same surgeon, so based on what  he has told me Dr. Naim  would want you doing the 2oz protein shakes to get 60 grams in at 7 days out and  then the sf jello. I know I hated food at that early out and wasn't hardly eating anything, and for sure did not get my protein in. The clear liquids was for the first two  or three days.
rbb825
on 6/28/11 10:09 pm - Suffern, NY
for 1 week out of surgery, 1 cup of liquid - 8 ounces is alot at one time - like the poster who has the same surgeon as you said.  You need to take tiny sips and often. Gulping can damage your staple line.  You need to follow your surgeons quidelines.  You have a new pouch with a new staple line that needs to heal.  I know that liquids go right down but I know for me, I could only get a tiny bit down at a time or it would come right back up - even with little sips

These were my surgeons quidelines for liquids:

week 1 - 1 ounce every 10 minutes
week 2 - 2 ounces every 10 minutes
week 3 - 3 ounces every 20 minutes
week 4 - 4 ounces every 20 minutes
week 6 - 6 ounces every 30 minutes
week 8 - 8 ounces every 40 minutes

clear liquids - jello, broth, sugar free liquids, water, clear protein drinks (isopure plus - zero carb)
liquids - same as above - plus, soups with no pieces, protein drinks, skim milk,

I was required to drink a protein drink per day from the day I came home with a minimum of 25 grams of protein.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 355 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 355 views