what do you think? discrimination

Carrie W.
on 7/1/11 12:13 am - KY
I'm not sure how I feel about this personally. On one hand, I can understand that the university wants their graduates to present a certain ..... image. And it makes sense for a health care professional to be a good example for his/her patients. And it makes sense that with recruiting as tough as it is, this would play a role. On the other hand, it bothers me that people could be NOT chosen for the program based on their appearance.
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

rbednarski
on 7/1/11 1:24 pm
RNY on 04/23/10 with
Of course they would say that it is not based on appearance but what lies behind the apppearance.

I once had a client who was a cardiologist who must have had a BMI near 50, drank Jolt Cola and could barely walk through the office without huffing and puffing.  He had his own practice, so that was between him and his patients.   But if I was in a position where I had to hire a cardiologist, or even pick one to go to, this guy would be the last one I would consider.  How could he credibly tell patients to do things he himself was obviously not prepared to do?

Highest ever: 390    Weight at 1st appt.: 365   Weight at surgery: 346

Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/1/11 12:34 am - Baltimore, MD
I am probably going to get beat up for saying this but...

While yes, I think using the BMI to rate anyone for a job is wrong, I don't think expecting that health workers be healthy is discrimination. I'm a writer. If I was illiterate but still had a way with words, would it be discrimination not to hire me as a writer?

During my pre-op process I marveled at how many obviously unhealthy people were lecturing ME about taking better care of myself. I once took a philosophy class that detailed fallacious reasoning and there is a fallacy about that - disregarding an argument because the person arguing does not comply with it. So in other words, being healthy is still a sound argument even if THE unhealthiest person in the world is making it. However, I think it's a more CREDIBLE argument if my health promoters are actually working toward good health.

Which brings me back to my point. I don't think BMI or any other man-made measurement can assess that. But I do think that folks that promote health should, in some ways, walk the walk. But in my estimation, I also think it's very credible to patients to see their health promoters in PROCESSES of health. My Bariatric coordinator, for instance, had WLS. She had some regain. She's working to address it. She's far more credible to me because of her openness about her struggles than if she'd had a perfect journey and a perfect body. In fact, I'd be more likely to disregard her in that instance because her experience is SO different from mine.

However, if she wasn't trying at all and lecturing me about my process? She'd not only be disregarded but also disrespected. I can't have respect for that.

So, I don't know how we'd measure that, but I think we most definitely should expect health care professionals to care about being healthy.

Clear as mud, right?
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 493 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 557 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 546 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 256 views
Recent Topics