what do you think? discrimination

Carrie W.
on 6/30/11 2:15 pm - KY
One of my students plans to go to Vanderbuilt and go through their nurse practitioner program.  He told me that one of the requirements for admittance into the program is having a normal BMI.  Now this is rumor, I didn't find anything on their site about this.  The student said he was told that they wanted their graduates to present as "professional". 

So what do you think?  Is this discrimination?  Or is it reasonable for a person studying to be a nurse practitioner to have to have a normal BMI?  I wonder if it's legal .....

HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

gbsinsatx
on 6/30/11 2:24 pm - San Antonio, TX
 I don't know if it is legal. Yes it is discrimination. I think you can present yourself as professional no matter what weight you are. What is hard to understand is when someone in the medical profession tells you that you need to improve your health and they do not practice what they preach. It comes down to respect. Unfortunately, most people do not respect overweight people in general because we judge outward appearances. A slim person can be perceived as wonderful and they can be the most unhealthiest person inside mentally and physically.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

brwneyz
on 6/30/11 2:51 pm
Do they also make sure they don't smoke, drink, do drugs, exercise on a regular basis, are bulimic or anorexic, or have unsafe sex??? 
Wife to Lawrence since July 4, 2003.
Nathan June 16, 2005   Haylee October 7, 2009  
Getting help so I can live long with him and raise them to be the best they can be!                

immafatgirl
on 6/30/11 5:26 pm - KY
aint that it... u said it right here. ...  couldnt have said it better ..
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/30/11 8:24 pm - OH
I went to grad school at Vanderbilt (in an area completely unrelated to their NP program).  I also have been in counseling graduate programs at TWO universities (one for another master's and now one for a PhD) where there is also the issue, to a certain extent, of how your weight impacts your professional credibility (since MOST people who are obese have emotional/psychological components of obesity, the issue is whether or not people would want to see a counselor who likely has some unresolved issues of their own). 

I can almost guarantee that there is no "requirement", written or otherwise, for a normal BMI for program admission -- to Vandy or anywhere else -- because, yes, that would be discrimination and would be illegal.

What they can do, however -- and I do not know that this is the case with Vandy... I just know it is the case other places in other programs that require licensure -- is place a strong emphasis both in the admission decision making and within the program itself on professional identity (and ANY school with a prestigous name or reputation WILL do so) and on student suitability for the profession... which has the bottom line effect of exerting pressure on students to meet the "professionalism" and "suitability" standards.  In a university program where there is a lot of competition for admission, the university -- especially a private one -- is allowed to take all sorts of things into consideration when determining which limited number of students they admit (think of High School students who do volunteer work, etc. in order to have something that sets them apart for Ivy League,etc. undergrad admissions committees), and the student's ability to represent well the university in a professional capacity is one of those considerations.  To deny someone program admission based solely on their weight would be one thing, but to deny them admission based on their weight and any other consideration that combined to make OTHER applicants more desirable for admission is another.   The sad fact is that an admissions panel can always find ADDITIONAL reasons to rank other students higher on their list than an obese applicant...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Carrie W.
on 7/1/11 12:09 am - KY
I think you hit the nail on the head there, Lora.  I wasn't sure how to word it and again, it's rumor. 
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Lorrainecma
on 6/30/11 10:22 pm
 Discrimination!!! It is, but it does happen. I've heard of it happeneing here. They don't tell you that you cannot join the program, but they do make comments to you and they make the program hard for you. That is what I have heard anyway.
steve D.
on 6/30/11 11:02 pm, edited 6/30/11 11:02 pm - West Fargo, ND

This would not fall under discrimination as defined by Title I of the Amercians with Disabilities Act. I am not aware of any federal statute that applies discrimination to being fat. However, if you were discriminated against because of diabetes for example, it may be considered then.

I will say that I feel this type of practice, although unwritten exists in many places. It seems to be more of a cultural thing though.

Steve

psx chelly
on 6/30/11 11:39 pm, edited 6/30/11 11:41 pm

I cant speak for Vanderbilt, but on a personal note, one of the lesser reasons I did this surgery is for professional reasons.  I want very badly to get accepted into a particular school (i choose not to use their name) for my PhD program. (not medical, another field).  They tend to "advertise" and "shop" their PhD students to some of the companies I dream of working for.  They only choose 10 a year, and as you can guess they all fit the cultural "norm".

Discrimination or not, you know as well as I know, that people who fit the cultural norm tend to be accepted more than obese people.  Its just the way the world works.  Many Dateline episodes come to mind where the cute stupid blond gets the job over the obese very smart qualified lady.

Sure we can all be mad about it, but what does that do?  It wont change anything, and you waste energy on being mad.  No matter what anyone says or does, fat people being discriminated against will of course be denied, and still happen.

It is my belief that I will be able to advance to my desired career level when I loose all the weight I want to loose.... and I am sure that Vanderbilt is thinking the same thing when they only want skinny people, no matter if its written policy or not.

ShrinkingJoe
on 7/1/11 12:15 am
Very well said!
Most Active
Recent Topics