I have a "for future reference" question RE: church and fluids

2nd_Chance_Chick
on 7/3/11 1:35 pm

While making notes in my notebook about this process and making goals for myself, I had a hmmmm moment.

For those that attend church faithfully....(I stated it this way because I am speaking of a weekly service and a Sunday service)...what did you do as far as getting your fluids AS AN EARLY OUT POST-OPER?

From my research, I see that some drink every 15-20 minutes.

I am usually in service 2 hours and 3 hours when attending Sunday school.

Is it alright to not drink for 2 hours??
I am really not wanting to stay out of church for more than 3 weeks after surgery.

Thanks in advance,
Pre-oper 2CC.

I know what i'm doing,I have it all planned-plans to give you the future you hope for.Jeremiah 29:11(The Message)

With God's Will, I was approved!

xxkiyaxx
on 7/3/11 1:46 pm - NY
Honestly, for the first few weeks I felt it was nearly impossible to get everything I needed to get in and boy did I try!  It would be most beneficial if you could bring something with you to sip on but if that's an absolute no-no ... and you think you can make up what you're going to miss during those couple of hours ... you'll be fine.  I honestly do not believe that most people are able to get in all the recommended fluids the first couple of weeks.  I could be wrong though!  Good luck!

2nd_Chance_Chick
on 7/3/11 1:54 pm
Thanks for responding. We have water available at church but no drinking
in the sanctuary of coarse. That's good news.

Depending on the outcome of hpylori test number 2, I will have my surgery late August so I am hoping to be back at church mid September.

I know what i'm doing,I have it all planned-plans to give you the future you hope for.Jeremiah 29:11(The Message)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/3/11 2:03 pm - OH
Personally, I did NOT drink every 15 minutes even immediately after surgery.  I had open surgery so I was taking a fair amount of pain medication for several weeks... which meant that I would take pain meds and then sleep for 2 hours and then get up, walk, use the bathroom, and drink... and I was still able to get at least close to my minimnum amount of fluids in. 

I think you are worrying needlessly (or at least over-thinking things, probably based on posts by a few people (the minority) who have difficulty getting fluids in post-op).  Look at the math.  64 ounces of fuid per day is the usual recommendation.  If you are awake only 14 of those 24 hours (and that allows TEN hours for sleeping!), that means you only have to drink about 4 ounces of water per hour.  So if you don't drink at all for one hour, you still only have to drink 8 ounces the following hour. Unless you are someone who has a LOT of trouble drinking, that is not difficult.

Also, despite how it may appear from posts here, it is not as if you are going to end up in the hospital with dehydration if you don't get in all 64 ounces every day.  MOST people I know (post-ops and non-ops alike) do NOT drink 64 ounces of fluids every day and are just fine!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

2nd_Chance_Chick
on 7/3/11 2:17 pm
Thanks. Just wondered about this one thing for now. (and the gas)lol

ObiMomKenobi
on 7/3/11 3:15 pm
Take a bottle of water to church. If they kick you out, find a different church. ;) j/k. Seriously, though, no one is going to care if you drink water in church. It is done all the time at a lot of churches. If you are approached, just tell them you have a medical need to have it. No one is going to say anything though! They just want you in there! :)

Amanda :)

rlw99
on 7/3/11 4:17 pm - Oakland, CA
I agree with everything Amanda said. Take the water with you to church, you have a medical need for it. They shouldn't have anything to say about it!

2nd_Chance_Chick
on 7/3/11 11:08 pm
Thanks. we have water at church. No one drinks in the sanctuary. I have never done that before even as a child. older child that is.

I am one that does'nt walk out until the service is over. I have went to take my meds after I took my offering and went right back before the preaching started.

I think I will do that,have my water and lemon in a bottle in my
purse and take some sips after offering in the hallway. 

janet2921
on 7/3/11 7:14 pm - Chicago, IL
I also agree with Amanda.  Its simple.  Just take a bottle of water to church and sip sip sip.

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."

cent100

losing-jennifer
on 7/3/11 9:15 pm
We can drink in church so no problem here...what about sneaking in a little 8 ounce bottle of water? They have those cute little ones that fit in a purse easily. How about talking to the pastor? I'm sure they may make an exception.
Most Active
Recent Topics