Eating Enough at 2 months out?

AMYLIZ527
on 7/7/11 11:19 pm - Sterling, MA
I wish there was a rule/direction book to follow! I am 2 months out from surgery and have lost 51lbs to date.  I have the normal couple of days where I don't loose anything and then for 3 or 4 days I will go down .5-1lb a day and I am pretty happy with that! 
My question is this- how many calories should I be eating a day and how can I get in all the protein I need to be?!?!? Most of the time I feel like I don't eat as much as I should- never ever thought I would utter those words! =) - for example, last night I made 3 small frozen turkey meatballs and could barely get down 1 1/2.  Shouldn't I be able to get more than that in?
I need to start keeping a daily log of what I am eating because I know that I am lacking in some areas.  My favorite meal right now is fresh mozzarella cheese and watermelon.
Thanks for any ideas and help! 
~Amy
Sasrah1972
on 7/8/11 12:47 am - NY
Hi Amy, I'm a week behind you (5/17) and I was recommended to aim for between 550-750 calories. Most days I'm well within that, and there are a few days I go over, up to 800 or so. I am losing at about the same pace as you (I'm down 45 and go in spurts like you) and I'm happy with that too!
I've read here a lot about small pouch days and large pouch days, and I definitely have that. I ate a small ground lamb/beef patty yesterday (120 cal) and couldn't eat another thing except one bite of steamed cauliflower. That was the whole meal, and that was fine!
By the way, I tested myself a bit. I ate a full cup of watermelon the other day and half an hour later had more. I know I probably shouldn't have done that, but it was so cold and delicious and it is a lot of liquid, so I didn't feel too bad about it. Not chocolate ice cream, right?
I am using LoseIt online and on my phone, and it's great for tracking. Definitely do it!
Feel good--
Sara
Margo2011
on 7/8/11 2:49 am - PA
Try myfitnessplan.com to they have a nice tracking system and database you can add to for special foods you like.  I am out a bit longer then you but I have good and bad days to. Some days I can eat something and I am fine. Next time, barely make it to the sink to bring it back up.  Some days can eat very little and other days I am over 1000 calories. All protein and good stuff.  I don't do breads, cookies, etc. All trigger foods for me so stick to basics - cheese sticks, Greek yogurt, pepperoni and protein shakes made with soy milk and frozen fruit.
Heather0115
on 7/8/11 6:45 am - CA
Hi Amy,
I am 11 weeks out and I can't eat more than 1.5 meatballs either. I don't worry about calories because I am not eating much. I do log my protein everyday and try to get 60-75 grams. But, sometimes it is only 50 gr and I feel it in my energy level.

I have a protein shake for breakfast made with fresh strawberries, lunch is cheese with fruit or chopped salad with tiny diced chicken (~2 oz max of chicken) or 1/2 C cottage cheese. dinner is usually meat w/gravy and veggies. Sometimes I eat carbs like a mini protein muffin or 1/2 of a sweet potato or some mashed or baked potato. I also make protein ice cream and have that 2 or so times a week. I eat full fat cheese.  and have 1-2 snacks during the day. Check out www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com for some great WLS recipes.

My weight loss is similar to yours. My post-op weight was 238 and I am now 191.
Heather in San Diego
HW-255, GW-140 CW-141

Rebecca H.
on 7/8/11 10:35 am
My surgery was 5/6 and when I went to see the NUT mid June, she wanted me to eat 1000 calories a day, 3 meals with no snacks. I'm still trying to figure it out ! I need to track my food/calories.
Kelly A.
on 7/17/11 9:11 pm - MA
Hi Amy!  I think you are doing just great!  I used to track but lately am too busy.  I don't count calories but do look at them (like which product gives me the most protein for the least calories?).  I do count protein, that is my main focus.  I am lucky if I can get in 60 gr. that is my target.  Currently I am down over 118 lbs!  So excited, losing about 5 lbs a week now.  I get alot of exercise, but am not currently "working out"...I just make sure I get as much as possible during my day.  I put on size 20 shorts yesterday and it was the first public appearance of my thighs in over a decade!!!  I have worn shorts to my knees in past years, but never real shorts!
Anyway, getting off subject!!!
I definately have days where I can eat more, like yesterday I ate almost a whole (large) slice of pepperoni pizza!  Then there are times where I can't eat half of a sandwich thin sandwich with just peanut butter on it!  Just depends on the day and what it is I am trying to eat.  This weekend was very busy and most choices out of my control, so I didn't eat perfect choices but what I ate I couldn't possible overeat, so still lost weight this weekend!!  Good luck!!  I know you are doing it right, just start enjoying it!!!
~Kelly
Kelly Alvarez Roux En YMarch 29, 2011 start354/DOS313/goal154         
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 485 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 412 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 399 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 343 views
What's on your Monday Menu?