ADVICE PLEASE

Beth_Buffy
on 7/9/11 10:53 am, edited 7/9/11 10:54 am - cicero, NY
OK so surgery day is approaching fast  for the RNY on july 27th .so i went to walmart to buy somethings i would need i got centrum multi,b12 500 mg dots,and body fortress super advanced whey protein 52 grams of protein i hope that's correct if not i can take it back and i also picked up low sodium broth and sf jello,and decaf tea,crystal light,now i know i still need to get calcium citrate with vit d .is there anything else i should buy before the surgery thank you all for your help

BugdocMom
on 7/9/11 11:08 am - CA
Pretty good selection so far. I would recommend that you order some sample protein packs online so you have a variety to choose from. It is really hard to find a tolerable protein drink soon after surgery and your tastes will change a few times. I got mine from bariatricpantry.com but I hear vitalady has a good selection.

Also, Gas X strips are a godsend when the gas finally gets into your tummy and intestines. Also, the thing I was surprised to find so useful was kandoo moist potty wipes. I think there are grown up wipes, too. I had my hubby bring them to the hospital and they were great! It's tough to wipe with iv's attached and a swollen belly, and these made it easier since they are moist and they were surprisingly refreshing.

Best of luck to you!!
rbednarski
on 7/9/11 12:51 pm
RNY on 04/23/10 with
Sounds good, but I hope you didn't buy too much protein.  What we like pre-op is often what we don't like post-op.

Highest ever: 390    Weight at 1st appt.: 365   Weight at surgery: 346

turningpoint
on 7/9/11 1:20 pm
my surgeon provided my first round of chewable vitamins.  Check with your surgeon regarding their plan...you need to follow YOUR surgeon's plan and they all differ.   Your tastes may differ post-op, so so don't buy too much of anything. 
Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
GastricKitty
on 7/10/11 12:02 am - VA
Sounds like you're on the right track.

Recommendations for in the hospital: Lip balm, a pillow from home, robe, slippers, eye mask, ear plugs, underwear, coming home outfit. 

Post surgery: ice pop mold (to make protein ice pops in case you have trouble drinking), 4oz jelly canning jars and a pack of plastic lids (better for portion control. You can bake with them, microwave, and freeze stuff), a container of soy milk (in case you can't handle dairy after - you can get the non-refridgerated kind to keep in your pantry just in case), several shaker bottles (I like the smaller ones).

Protein:
- I recommend getting samples of everything on vitalady.com.
- TheWorldAccordingtoEggface.com has links for free samples. 
- MyBariatricPantry.com has great non-sweet proteins. I like their protein soups and protein hot chocolate.
- A lot of people like Unjury's Chicken Soup protein - beleive me, you will get sick of sweet.
- Find a good unflavored protein powder and add it to everything. You can't get enough protein in the beginning so this helps. I add it to all my purees, sf puddings, soups, broth, etc.

For calcium citrate, you can find Wellesse brand at Walmart. It comes in a bottle and is a liquid. It has calcium and D3. It tastes great - like a creamsicle. I take that and some D3 chews to make sure I get in enough of both. I also take a probiotic from Bariatric Advantage to help me "go." A lot of people have trouble going # 2 after. It helps me stay regular.

You could also try Mio instead of Crystal light. I like it better. 

A lot of people like Click protein. It tastes like a frappaccino instead of a protein powder. I throw it in my bullet with some mil**** and an unflavored protein (isopure unflavored) to boost the protein. My fav flavored protein is Syntha 6 chocolate peanut butter. Just remember, your tastes change after and you may not like the same proteins. I don't like a lot of sweet since surgery. Most proteins out there are too sweet for me. I mix mine with skim milk. Water didn't taste good in them, but 2% was too thick. 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 450 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 344 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 344 views