Nights are so hard

treehousestories
on 7/14/11 9:40 am
I'll be the first to admit that I need to seek therapy to deal with my food addiction. I plan on doing that. I had issues with depression before surgery and of course will continue to afterwards. I just wanted to say that nights are the hardest. Does anyone else agree? As soon as the sun starts to go down, my mood just deflates. And what do I want to do that I can't do anymore? Eat my feelings. Maybe its not a coincidence that my back and body aches start around the time the sun goes down too. Every single day, without fail. I feel fine all day until around 6:30 or 7:00 pm. Maybe its related to my depression. (something to ask my doctor about)

GastricKitty
on 7/14/11 9:46 am - VA
My surgery was not far from yours. I get achy in the evenings too. What seems to help me keep good spirits and just feel better all around is walking. Every morning before my shower, every lunch break, every evening before i cook dinner for my family, and every night after I put my daughter to bed. I put on my Ipod and go for a walk. Sometimes it's only a block or two. Sometimes more. If it's raining, I grab my umbrella (unless it's storming). If it's hot, I just bring a water bottle and put on some old workout clothes. It brings me peace and lifts my mood. I just walk and enjoy the rhythm of it. I don't think at all. It relaxes me. 

Hope this helps. :)

MastoDon
on 7/14/11 10:00 am - Los Gatos, CA
I'm not qualified to address the issue of depression, so it's good that you're going to consult with a doc about that.

However, I do recall that some of my hardest times were when I was around six weeks post-op.  I was starting to lose hair, I had much less energy than I wanted, and things still hurt a little.  It may be that those are issues that are entering your equation, and if they are, there's good news.
Your hair will stop thinning, your wounds will heal, and your energy level will bounce back. 

These things take time, and there will likely be no "aha moment" in which you sense complete recovery.  But there will come a day that it suddenly occurs to you that you feel better.  Or that you have more energy.  Or that you have more hair in your scalp than in your hairbrush.

I did not find that nights were particularly hard, but then I have a wonderful supportive wife and a dog that's always happy to spend time with me.  It might have been different if it were just me and the TV.

Are you in a support group?  You should be.  Listening to others a couple of times each month who have their own stories (of successes or challenges) was very helpful.  If nothing else, you'll have some human interaction that's in ways better than this sort of impersonal electronic exchange.  And you may see that there are others who are better off than you, and still others who are worse off.  Sort of puts things into perspective.

Best of luck to you.  Stay connected.

Learning to swim was easy.  The hard part was getting out of that burlap sack.  Those rocks were heavy.
High: 310    Surgery day: 282     Goal: 190     Current: 178

Cleveland34
on 7/14/11 10:46 am
As a person working toward their mental health counseling degree, yes seek counseling for the issues that might have lead you to have food issues. I think a lot of people can benefit from counseling, especially those of us who have and are going to have surgery. Have you tried OEA, Over Eaters Annon. They have a website and they also have online meetings every night.  Why don't you try to jump on one of their web meetings they are very enlightning and it helps to share your feelings with others who are going through the same thing. Food can be an addicition, anything can be a possible addicition if you are using it to self medicate your feelings. I hope you feel better (((HUGS))))
Rebecca H.
on 7/14/11 10:55 am
I agree therapist but also change your evening routine. Don't get stuck in the same routine in the evenings when you ate anything you wanted. Exercise, call a friend on the phone, go grocery shopping for good food, plan you meals out for the next few days, do laundry or clean house. Do something to keep you busy.
Koko M.
on 7/15/11 12:17 am - Albany, CA
Seconding what everyone else has already said, and I'd like to add a simple stop-gap suggestion.

Go to bed.

Start making yourself get up a bit earlier every morning, alarm clock, whatever you need, and going to bed earlier. At first it will definitely be kind of hard, and even perhaps feel a little silly, but as anyone who's ever worked an odd schedule can tell you, your body does eventually accept the new normal. And you can't slip into eating at night for comfort if you're  already in bed asleep.

Also, Trazodone don't hurt either....

Koko   

HW-291 :: 1st WLS consult-281 :: Surgery-263 ::  GW-154 :: CW-151 :: In my dreams - 138