Is Celebrex ok post-op????

Christie N.
on 7/15/11 2:17 am, edited 7/15/11 2:29 am - Riverton, UT
My Mom has had fibromyalgia for a long time now and has also been on Cymbalta for depression for the past 4-5 yrs.   Recently, she forgot to take her cymbalta for a few days and noticed her fibro flared up and then got back on it and it went away.  She and I both recently found out on tv from a commercial that Cymbalta helps with Fibromyalgia too and other joint pain problems (along with depression), so that's why it's been helping with that and her depression.  

She just told me this past Wednesday that her doctor put her on a lower dose of cymbalta and had her go on some Celebrex for her fibromyalgia pain.  I just saw a commercial on tv today about Celebrex and that it's a prescription NSAID!!!  My Mom had RNY done back in 2003 and had an ulcer just post op from a complication she had after surgery.  I called her today and told her I'd contact my doctor to see if that was something she could take as a RNY patient and told her it's an Rx NSAID!!  No wonder she's feeling a ton better on it, lol!!  She has been on it for a week I think and I really want to get her off it if it's going to do any harm.   She lives in Utah and had her surgery done in NC and her doctor is really hard to get a hold of (long story)..... 

So I called and left a msg with my nurse at the doc's office and thought I'd come on here to ask about Celebrex.   Since it's a Rx NSAID, it's not ok right??

Hit goal weight of 140 at 13 months out from RNY!! 130 pounds GONE! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/15/11 2:33 am
Not OK IMO.  But the benefit may outrank the risks.
If she decided to take it - most likely she should be also on antacid meds. And watch for any signs of pain - distress. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Tina A.
on 7/15/11 2:39 am - NY
She contact her bariatric surgeons since not all docs are up to speed on the RNY. Taking NSAIDS is potentially dangerous since ulcers can bleed causing severe anemia. In the worse case they can even perforate and that is a lethal situation.
Christie N.
on 7/15/11 2:56 am - Riverton, UT
she had a horrible time post op with her doctor who did the mini GB, Dr Rutledge, and he was impossible for her to contact him. She had horrible complications after her surgery and almost died and he wasn't even involved in her post op care or anything.  She flew to NC to have it done and then flew back home to Utah (still had pneumonia from the hospital stay) and had her PCP and sister basically take care of her and nurse her back to health post op.  She had a collapsed lung, an ulcer, and had to be on a feeding tube for a few months post op.

I've heard awful things about him (did research online) and don't blame her for not wanting to contact the stupid doctor!!!!

Hit goal weight of 140 at 13 months out from RNY!! 130 pounds GONE! 

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/11 3:17 am - FL
I asked my surgeon about that since I take anti-inflammatories for my back and he said NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again can I have NSAIDS.  He said the irritate the small pouch and will easily cause an ulcer that would be really serious.  He repeated himself so I can assume he wasn't fooling around about it.  I would ask your surgeon, but I bed they say no way!
Proudtobaloser
on 7/15/11 3:41 am - Fayetteville, NC
With it being a NSAID and all her previous issues, I would caution and say NO.
Every med list I have looked at has had CELEBREX on there as a NO med. ALL NSAIDs are NO meds. As are aspirin, ibuprofen, and steriodal products- they are all NO meds.

This is just me but I ALWAYS ask what type of med it is BEFORE the doc write a script. Even if it is in the charts for a person not being allowed to take, sometimes they overlook that and the patient or the advocate needs to ask the type, the reason AND the dosage. Write it down just so YOU have peace of mind. I have actually had to take a medication back to the pharmacy because they couldn't read the doctors handwriting and gave me a medication I was allergic to. Even in this day and age those types of mistakes still happen. Simple slip of a finger and the wrong doasge number or a wrong letter gets popped in and WHOOPS we are sorry, we screwed up.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/15/11 4:37 am
steriods are not NSAID's so it is Ok to have them.   They may upset other systems - but are OK.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Dave Chambers
on 7/15/11 4:09 am - Mira Loma, CA

Have your mom talk with her surgeon to explain the issue.  My surgeon has expalained that Celebrex is about the safest NSAID, if taking in a regimine with Prilosec about 20-30 minutes before.  He has also stated that if someone is taken to the ER, with symptoms of a stroke, they will likely have a heavy dose of aspirin or not, even RNY post ops.  Surgeon also explained to tell ER people the patient has had RNY and to give the IV version of Prilosec prior to the aspirin.  It will likely safe the patients life.  I know my surgeon has given scripts to a very few patients with major fibromyalgia issues, arthritus issues, severe joint pain, etc.  Talk to your surgeon first, though. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 446 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 401 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 335 views