Blood Thinners?

CoachArch
on 7/18/11 1:31 pm - NM
I was on a mild blood thinner (something-sodium) for the past ten days after surgery. Today is my first day without the blood thinners and I feel very tired. My heart rate is higher than normal (90+) from time to time. It's dropped to the normal range now and my temp is 98.7 to 99.7 today. It doesn't help that it's hot as hell and a bit humid here so the swamp cooler isn't working very well. Is this normal the first day off of the blood thinners? Everything else has been normal. I even upped my exercise today from 30 minutes twice a day to 45 minutes twice a day. Am I doing ok? I'll be 14 days post-op tomorrow...
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/18/11 2:09 pm - OH
Stopping the blood thinner should not change your energy level or your heart rate.  I have taken various anticoagulents off and on since 1979, so am -- unfortunately -- quite familiar with them, how they work, potential side effects, etc. 

Feeling tired (even sporadically) is very common during the first month post-op... you just had major surgery and are taking in very little nutrition, after all.  Several people I know felt great the first week and then "crashed" in terms of energy the second or third week.  (I had open surgery and had no energy for the entire first month.)

I would mention the erratic heart rate to your surgeon.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views