The surgeon doesn't want to sleeve me... :(

Lexie 84
on 7/20/11 11:57 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12
Hello all...this is my first time on this forum. I have started my WLS journey wanting the Sleeve, so I have been spending all of my time on that forum. I just posted this over there but wanted to pose this to the RNY folks. I need some opinions, pretty please!

I had my first consultation today...he asked me what surgery did I have in my mind. Of course I said THE SLEEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! He told me that he thinks I should get the gastric bypass b/c I'm diabetic and there's a much greater chance to resolve my diabetes and also more weight loss associated with the bypass. From what I've read...I find it hard to believe there'd be a major difference. Everyone on this forum has posted such great results with the sleeve. He is like really anti-sleeve. He said he does them, but he insists that the bypass is better. I'm so confused...I had made up my mind that I wouldn't want to deal with the stigma and complications associated with the bypass. Now he has me second guessing...

poet_kelly
on 7/20/11 12:01 pm - OH
I'll tell you what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

I'd ask him to show me the studies that show diabetes is much more likely to resolve with gastric bypass and that you'll lose more weight.

If you aren't satisfied that the info he shows you indicates that the bypass is best for you or if he won't or can't show you the data, then I'd get a second opinion from another surgeon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/20/11 12:07 pm - OH
Ditto what Kelly said.  Do not be surprised if he cannot or will not provide you with the requested info to back up his assertion (especially the part about better weight loss with RNY...  from everything I have seen/read/heard, it will be FASTER but not necessarily GREATER).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

katiecnm
on 7/20/11 12:12 pm - Goshen, IN
I can't answer your question about the resolution of diabetes and of weight loss, but I do know that if you are determined to get the sleeve you might want to get a second opinion. I wouldn't want someone to do a sleeve on me if they aren't entirely comfortable with the procedure. Find someone who does a lot of sleeves and see what they think.

I have a friend who asked our surgeon his opinion about the sleeve vs RNY. She works as a nurse in the GI lab at the hospital so knows him fairly well. His response was to do the sleeve first, because you can always revise and do an RNY. I found that to be interesting.

That being said, I chose the RNY instead of the sleeve, and had my surgery in May so I'm fairly newly out, but I'm very happy with my choice so far. I've had a couple minor complications (had to have a stricture dilated last Monday), but I'd do it again. It's wonderful to feel so much better!

All the best to you as you consider this life-changing decision!

shellbell75
on 7/20/11 12:25 pm
I would get a second opinion. Your body, your decision. Do not settle for a surgery you do not want. Some Dr.s are partial to RNY. A girl I went to HS with had RNY done LAST year. When I asked her why she didn't get sleeved or DS she had NO clue what I was even talking about. How can you have this surgery and NOT know your options and why wouldn't her surgeon discuss all 3 with her?
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

Lisa R.
on 7/20/11 12:29 pm - CA
I wanted the sleeve too but my insurance would not cover it, I guess it is too new.  They only give the sleeve to people who can't have a RNY and also if you do HAVE diabetes some insurance companies will only approve you for the RNY as it is the only one that can resolve that issue.  

I'm happy with the RNY, but I think I would have been just as happy with the sleeve, so you have a big decision to make, do you fight the powers that be for what you really want, or do you go with the tried and true RNY....Either way I think you will get the results that you want. 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Proudtobaloser
on 7/20/11 12:37 pm - Fayetteville, NC
In all honesty you may have to go to another surgeon if it comes down to it.

The first surgeon I had discussed ALL options with me but then before I could really make my decision, she left and went to another hospital. I did A LOT of surgery research on my own which everyone should do anyhow. I firmly beleive in research.

Bottomline?  YOU are the one in YOUR body. Yes the surgeon may know what he is doing but it is YOUR decision.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

laurynbro
on 7/20/11 12:42 pm - GA
You are right to do your research...I chose RNY based on my research...I WAS diabetic...off ALL meds since surgery 6/27/11...blood sugars running 84-100...It did work!  No problems,,,No issues...loving everything about my decision!  Good luck with yours!

Mrs_O
on 7/20/11 12:56 pm - TX
Your body, your choice.  If you really want a sleeve find another doctor who will do it for you.  I don't quite understand how you think there is no stigma and complications associated with the sleeve?  They are both pretty drastic surgeries that alter your body in a pretty permanent way.  I had my bypass 11 months ago and quite frankly it has been so much easier than I ever expected.  I had no complications, no hair loss, no issues with dumping, can eat pretty much exactly like I did prior except in much smaller portions.  My weight loss keeps me motivated so I choose to eat a healthy diet but if I want a treat day here and there I do it.  I am not at goal weight but am in a very comfortable size 6 after 11 months.  Stories like mine are more normal then not.  Not trying to sell you on this surgery but it's not as bad as you might think.  My biggest pain point has been extra gas, easily resolved with GasX and most likely caused because I eat much faster than I should, hey I'm busy!!  But again your body, your choice.  Do what is right for you!!

Pam T.
on 7/20/11 11:39 pm - Saginaw, MI
 You're right --  there are complications and stigma associated with Sleeve. In fact, the complication rate for Sleeve is actually higher than that of RNY in the first year after surgery. It's associated with the fact that the internal incision is larger and covers more surface area with the sleeve --- you're cutting the entire length of the stomach vs just a small portion with RNY, so complications with leaks and staple line failure is higher with sleeve than RNY. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active
Recent Topics