Lap Band Replaced with Bypass

sheilar2
on 7/22/11 1:09 am - Panama City, FL
I have had a lap band for about 15 months and I really haven't lost that much weight. Dr said we would talk about a gastric bypass. Any comments would help on this.
Arinsho2
on 7/22/11 1:20 am
I am in the same boat you are. I have had the band since Jan. of '09 and I have only lost 18 pounds. I went through 6 months of medical weight loss (again) to see if I would be approved for the bypass. The Dr. submitted my paperwork and I got denied. My insurance didn't want to deal with a "Complication" from the band. So then we applied the denial and I just got approved about 3 weeks ago and my surgery is on Aug. 8th. I'm super excited and just so you know there is hope. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!
Arin----Revision from Band to BYPASS!!!!                        
sheilar2
on 7/22/11 1:24 am - Panama City, FL
Thank you so much for answering. I dont have to worry about insurance as it will be done by the military which is great. I did have to attend classses and get health checkups. I go next week to see the Dr and anxious to talk with him. Good luck and keep me posted.
sheilar2
on 7/22/11 1:59 am - Panama City, FL
I started out about 135 and cannot seem to get any lower. I will definitely go for bypass I think. Needed to get this weight under control as I have many health issues. Thanks
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/22/11 3:50 am - OH
135  pounds is not "under control"?!? Seriously?!?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Dave Chambers
on 7/22/11 1:34 am - Mira Loma, CA
I have attended a lot of support meetings over the past 5 years. My surgeon did the RNY and Realize band, and began sleeve surgeries last year.  His surgical nurse goes to at least 2 of the monthly support meetings. The question has come up about which surgery has more issues.  His nurse always replies, the band.  It's far more difficult to lose wt, and the national average is only 70 pounds taking over a year to accomplish. This is NOT the picture you get when you see these billboard signs or tv ads on band surgery, where patients have claimed well over 100 lb wt loss. This is not the normal result.  Slow wt loss, trouble getting fills correctly to restrict food while allowing you to eating, some band breakage or slippage, scar tissue around band, etc.  I you have significant wt loss you need for improved health, I'd definitely speak to the doc about a revision. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/11 1:57 am
I got the band in 2008 and just converted to RNY on July 5th. I'm happy with my decision since the band and I never got along. I've had an easy time with my RNY and having been losing weight a lot easier.
labellavita1982
on 7/22/11 2:54 am - Neenah, WI
My surgeons tries to talk people out of the band. He told me that he has done so many revision from the band to RNY. I was first looking at the lapband, they talked me out of it. I am very happy I got the RNY.
pandavenise
on 7/22/11 3:06 am
 I too have the band since Oct 09 and have lost only 20lbs. I have a revison date to RNY Aug 29th.
I am really tired of fighting the band. Just tried to eat some chicken last night and ended up throwing all of that up. I am worried about the surgery but I will be glad to get this thing out of my body. Keep in touche and let us know how you are doing. And good luck
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/11 3:40 am - NJ
BTDT.  Had the crap band for 8 months, lost about 15 - 20 pounds, and that was mostly on the liquids phase of the post op diet plan.

My band caused me so much pain, vomiting and reflux that the only cure was to get rid of it.  Got rid of it in March 09, had RNY in April 09 (to let the swelling from the band subside, and my surgeon said that he noticed better results from two surgeries rather than the revision and removal at the same time).

Since then, I feel great - lost all the weight I wanted and then some.  I no longer get "stuck" or have to feel that creepy port under my skin.

Ask anything you want - I am glad to share what I have been through :)
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 301 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views