Varicose veins, please share your knowledge---

Shelly S.
on 7/24/11 6:55 am - Mason, MI
When I was my heaviest, I had two or three varicose leg veins that bulged pretty bad. As I have lost the weight the bulges are bigger and more are showing. They are primarily on my right thigh and calf----any thoughts? Sometimes they are hot to the touch and very sensitive.

I see my PCP at the beginning of August and planned to ask him, but would love some additional insight or experience.

Thanks in advance,

Shelly
Shelly Smith    
HW 326 SW 293 CW 180 GW 160        
Proudtobaloser
on 7/24/11 7:01 am - Fayetteville, NC
OOOOO I am curious about this too. Thanks for asking.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

Shelly S.
on 7/24/11 7:09 am - Mason, MI
I have searched the forums and read about "vein stripping". This could be a possibility-----
Shelly Smith    
(deactivated member)
on 7/24/11 12:25 pm - TX
Depends on how big they are, and how close to the skin surface, but sometimes they can be injected with saline over a six to eight week period and it makes them disappear. Otherwise, you can have surgery to strip them or get rid of them.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/24/11 12:45 pm, edited 7/24/11 12:45 am - OH
You probably already know this, but just in case (and for folks that do not know)... vein "stripping" is actually surgically removing that section of vein... so whether or not they CAN do it (and whether it is ADVISABLE to do it) depends on how removal of that section of vein will impact your overall circulation in that leg. Make sure you consult a vascular surgeon who can do tests to identify what that impact will be BEFORE you decide to have it removed.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Shelly S.
on 7/24/11 12:32 pm - Mason, MI
Thanks Scarlet, I will keep the board posted after the 2nd of August when I see the PCP.
Shelly Smith    
Proudtobaloser
on 7/24/11 12:33 pm - Fayetteville, NC
vein stripping? that sounds painful.      Heck what am i talking about the pain for it may be easy. I dunno.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/24/11 12:46 pm - OH
Don't be mislead by the name... it is surgical removal of that section of vein altogether.

Lora

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/24/11 12:38 pm - OH
They are showing more because you no longer have the padding of fat around them, and are likely more sensitive for the same reason (they are not protected from bumps, etc. by the fat).  They will naturally be warmer than the surrounding skin because of the blood flowing through them but if they are actually hot, you should have your doctor look at them to be sure you do not have a clot in that vein.

They may or may not be able to do anything about them, depending on where they are located (what areas they service) and how big they are.  I have several in my left calf and lower leg. (I have had multiple DVTs in that thigh and the pelvis on that side, and some of the valves in veins in that leg are completely shot because of the excess pressure that built up during the thrombosis episodes.)  I consulted two vascular surgeons because one of them is quite sensitive (wearing even loose socks over it is painful). Based on your characterization of them as "bulged pretty bad" the chances of them being able to treat them without risking compromising your circulation is probably limited.  The one of mine that bothers me most is apparently untreatable. 

I did, however, also have one (of two) in the area a couple of inches above my groin on that side that went away on its own after I lost the weight.  I was used to seeing it (it had been there for probably 10 years) and one day I happened to look down as I was toweling off after I shower and realized it was gone... only the second one was there!

Lora

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 349 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 351 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 158 views
Recent Topics