Upper GI after RNY

Mia H.
on 7/24/11 11:37 pm - OH
I only had 1 Upper Gi done and that was for pre op testing.  I have to have one done tomorrow.  I'm having a harder time eating, chest pains and acid in the back of my throat so the doc wants me to have one done to check for an ulcer.  Now, I remember the pre-op one I had to drink the crystal stuff to cause gas, then a cup of thick chalky stuff, cup of thin chalky stuff, and then cup of water.  I will not be able to drink all that.  Plus when I had it done before it made me really nauseated.  

What do they do for RNY patients who cannot drink that much fluids at one time for gulp anything?   

Pholaris
on 7/24/11 11:54 pm
I have had a few post op, and they did not give me the stuff to cause gas and just had me drink as much as I could tolerate of the chalky stuff and the liquids. Please make sure everyone is aware that you are post RNY, the procedure is handled a little differently for us.

Best of luck with everything!
Pregnancy%20ticker
blondieann
on 7/25/11 12:03 am
I had one done twice post op and they did give me both stuff but didnt have to drink as much.  I agree make sure they know you just had RNY surgery.  Hope everything turns out ok. 

Gail S.
on 7/25/11 12:53 pm - New York, NY
I had two done within weeks of my RNY. It's surprising how much liquid you can consume at one time. Everyone was well aware of my surgery and I was able to drink the required amount.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/25/11 1:46 pm - OH
I have had two since my RNY (one when my gallbladder was acting up and just a couple of weeks ago while trying to diagnose my mysterious belly pain).  Dr Rita ordered the first one and my PCP ordered the most recent one (whihc included a small bowl follow-through).  I wonder why she did not order an EGD to look for an ulcer (nothing nasty to drink...)?  I would think that it would show an ulcer MUCH better than an upper GI... but perhaps she is also trying to rule out other things that an EGD wouldn't show.

Anyway, both times, I did still have to take the crystals. Make SURE that they know you had RNY and only give you a half dose.  They will also give you smaller doses of the other liquids.  You can sip it but will have to sip with very little time in between sips in order to get enough of it in at one time for them to get good pictures. Ask them for a basin before you drink it because if it makes you nauseous this time, you will not have much warning before it comes back up!  I have vomited a small amount all three times (including pre-op).

I hope they find the problem quickly.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 345 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 345 views