how do i make my shake??

purpleamanda
on 7/25/11 4:41 am - TN
surgery is aug 8th so im trying to find decent protein to make my shakes with but what do i put in it??? protein and skim milk and..... fresh fruit? ice? do i blend it? are there any others ways i can make it without all the foam? can i add the sugar free syrups to it? and how soon after surgery could i do that? thanks for alll your help!!!!!!
    *Amanda*                
Dave Chambers
on 7/25/11 4:57 am - Mira Loma, CA
You can do protein shakes before and after surgery.  I made almost all of my protein shakes with water, and crushed ice. Milk seemed too foamy to me. Blender ball with milk will likely lead to less foam. Again, it depends on the protein. Some protein powders are very difficult to blend, as I've treid a variety of them. The easiest to mix that I've found is a generic unbranded whey isolate protein, 2T has 20g protein.  No flavor to it. I mix it homemade shakes, SF pudding, oatmeal, veg. refried beans, mashed yams, etc.  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

CarolBeth
on 7/25/11 5:36 am - SoCal, CA
Dave, where do you find this generic plain whey isolate?  It's just what I've been looking for.
Carol
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

Dave Chambers
on 7/25/11 9:18 am - Mira Loma, CA
I tried to PM you, but your profile seems to be private.  Email me or PM me for details.  I sharte with many post ops at our support groups and my surgeon's nurse gets it for some patients who are having issues finding such a protein. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

poet_kelly
on 7/25/11 5:03 am - OH
You can put the milk and protein poweder in a shaker cup and shake it up if you want, but I like mine better in the blender.  I always put a handful of ice in it too, makes it more like a milkshake.  Thicker that way. 

Yeah, you can add sugar free suryps to it, a spoonful of sugar free pudding mix, a spoonful of Maxwell House International sugar free coffee mix (I like French vanilla), whatever you want for flavor.

You can put fruit in it too but probably not at least until you start on the pureed diet after surgery because essentially you will be pureeing fruit in the shake.  I like to use frozen fruit in place of ice.

You can put the other stuff, sugar free syrups and stuff, in your shakes right after surgery.

Some brands make more foam than others, but they will all have some foam if you mix them in the blender.  If the foam bothers you, try putting the shake in the fridge for 15 minutes or so and some of the foam will dissipate.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Heather0115
on 7/25/11 5:10 am - CA
Hi Amanda.
Good question to ask pre-op!
Right after surgery your pouch is so small due to swelling that getting a couple of tiny spoon
fulls of protein is all you can manage.
Shakes you describe with ice, milk fresh fruit are in your far future...like 8 weeks post-op
I am 12+ weeks post op and this is what I do for shakes.
I buy Max Protein by SEI Pharmaceuticals (they have a website) in vanilla or chocolate. I put 8 oz of ice water in a blender, add 1 scoop of protein powder and blend. THEN, I use a spoon to stop all the FOAM from going into my glass. If you drink foam your pouch will be MAD! You only want to drink the liquid. And you will SIP tiny sips. No more than 1/4 cup at any one time.

Your pouch is so small that it will be the size of a golf ball. If you make a big fat foamy shake, where will it go? You will be amazed at how little food or shake you will be able to consume post-op. I know I am. Foam is your enemy post-op. It makes you myserable and full of gas.

I bought a Magic Bullet blender from Costco for $39.99. It is perfect for WLS post op. The small containers are so useful for out portion sizes.

I have tried 20 different brands of protein powders. Max Protein tastes the best to me. You can find it at some GNC stores ( only franchises not corporate stores).

Fresh fruits are not recommended until later post-op. There is a lot of acid in fruit and your pouch can get MAD over this. I can throw in 4 strawberries and blend them with my shake, but left out the pulp until last week.
Good luck.
Heather
Heather in San Diego
HW-255, GW-140 CW-141

poet_kelly
on 7/25/11 5:35 am - OH
The foam doesn't bother everybody.  It doesn't make my pouch mad, I actually like my shakes foamy.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bralen
on 7/25/11 5:40 am
When it came to shakes I started out as cheap as I could. Body Fortress from Wal-Mart. I've never even tried another brand because that one was fine with me after surgery as well. I mix with water because the calories in milk weren't a good payoff for the extra protein. I could have used a scoop and a half for more protein and fewer calories. Also post op I became lactose intolerant.

I use about 10 ounces of water, one scoop of protein and sometimes half of a small banana, it makes the chocolate less sweet. Add three ice cubes and put it in the Magic Bullet.
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
purpleamanda
on 7/25/11 10:27 am - TN
thanks everyone for all your help i really appreciate it!
    *Amanda*                
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?