Struggling with Protein... new any suggestions...

jessica H.
on 7/25/11 2:11 pm - frederick, MD
So my surgeon advised that I should be getting in at least 40-60 grams of protein in each daily.  Every morning I make a protein shake with yogurt and skim milk and it's only 20 grams of protein.  It takes me almost the whole day to drink the shake.  Which then makes it difficult for me to drink all the fluids needed in one day. I have no urge to eat anything really.  I tried scramble eggs and they make me feel sick to my stomach. To tell the truth, I'm not hungry, haven't been since the day I had my surgery.  I was told by another person that they still didn't feel hungry after 7 months since their surgery.  Will I ever feel hungry??? I don't want to force food on myself if I'm not hungry.  I need any suggestions that will help me gain the correct amount of protein needed in one day. 
Kim H.
on 7/25/11 2:19 pm - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
I would try to cut out the yogurt so it will be thinner and get a powder with more grams of protein. I don;t like it much either but I mix 8oz milk with the protein powder and that ='s 28-31 grams depending on the type I use. I don't make it think or blend it with ice since I want to drink it as fast as possible. I use some of the Nectar brand protein and add it to water. I hate the taste but I set my alarm to go off every 5 minutes and I take 3 sips. Doing that, I can finish 8 oz in one hour. Good luck.

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
poet_kelly
on 7/25/11 2:35 pm - OH
First let me say 60 grams  should be the minimum amount of protein you get.  40 grams would be too low.  40 grams isn't even enough for most people that have not had RNY and we need a bit more than the average person.

Most people do get a hungry feeling back in time.  Some get it back sooner than others.  Until then, you do need to try to eat enough to get the calories and protein you need, even if you don't feel hungry.

Ways to get more protein.  Are you using protein powder in that shake, or just milk and yogurt?  Unless it's Greek yogurt, which is a lot higher in protein than other yogurt, leave it out of the shake.  Use a good protein powder, one that contains whey protein isolate, in your shake.  Try to drink about one ounce of the shake every 15 or 20 minutes.  It won't take all day to get it down then.

You might wanna try some clear protein drinks, too, like Isopure ready to drink.  They are the consistency of crystal lite or something like that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BugdocMom
on 7/25/11 3:13 pm - CA
I am almost 8 weeks out and I have been having nausea issues, so I have had a tough time getting in my protein also. I have found a few tricks that help me get more than I would otherwise. First, I realized that I have a hard time stomaching protein shakes in the morning. If I try, then I am no good for the rest of the day. So, I bought some unflavored protein powder and I drink a couple of mugs of hot soothing tea with sweet n low, soy milk, and a tablespoon of the unflavored (and miralax to keep me regular). Each cup has 6 grams of protein and 10 ounces of fluid. It starts my morning off on the right foot. I also found Pantry Selections fruit drinks at mybariatricpantry.com. They come as single serving packages of powder you mix with water. Each has 15 grams of protein, but when I mix them with 12 oz of water (instead of 6-8 as recommended) I can sip it with a straw with no nausea. I get fluids and proteins with little pain. Also, Greek Yogurt doesn't sit well for me, but I have found Carbmaster yogurt at Ralph's (I have seen posts noting other places to pick it up). It has 8 grams per serving and is easy on my tummy.

If you haven't already, I would also recommend you order several samples of protein mixes from various websites. That way you can see which ones are easier to drink.

Good luck to you!
Duck_Girl
on 7/25/11 5:43 pm
The 2 tricks I use to get protein and my fluids in for the day is either drink an isopure throughout the day 40 grams of protein and a scoop of Unjury in crystal light.

jessica H.
on 7/25/11 9:38 pm - frederick, MD
Thanks everyone for the ideas.  I'm going to be looking into some additional protein powder then what I already have.  
Michele816
on 7/26/11 12:01 am
I never felt hungry during the first 6 months.  Even now at 10 months, I feel hunger occasionally, but often it is more an empty  or a "i know I need to eat something" feeling.  You need to schedule eating as part of your daily routines and eat whether you "feel" like it or not.  You have to make sure you meet your body's nutritional needs or you will get ill.    As far as protein, start with thinking about what you liked before and then adapt it to your current needs and plan.  For example, I like Mexican food so I took ground turkey and ground it fine in the food processor with salsa (I was at the soft stage at the time) and then melted low fat Mex cheese on it-delicious!!!  You can do the same with ricotta, marinara and mozzarella and get a lasagne-like knock off.  You can also make a chicken stock or canned broth that you like, heat it and then stir in a raw scrambled egg with parmiggiano reggiano cheese.  OMG it is good and goes down easy.  Experiment, be creative and try things so you can build a repetoire of go-to's.

Also, you might want to try this method of eating.  It is what I still do to get enough protein in each day.  I weigh or measure all my food.  I usually do a 4 ounce portion of protein (meat and fish, not eggs or cheese) and divide it in 4 on my plate.  I eat 1 ounce and wait 10-15 minutes (depending on my pouch that day) and then eat the next portion.  It takes longer to eat, but I get it all in, have learned to savor what I am eating and I get 90+ grams of protein every day.

I hope this helps.

Firefly48
on 7/26/11 4:33 am
Hi my doc had me stop protein drinks after two weeks. I ate a lot of cottage cheese at first...now I find that steak is easiest for me to digest, cook it med rare and it is great for breakfast also. Chicken legs work great for me also, the dark meat is so much easier to digest, and I have also had this for breakfast-which is my hardest meal of the day. Shaved turkey from the deli wrapped in a pc of Swiss or provolone cheese is also great....not sure where you are with your eating. Pulled pork works for me too...slow cook and isn't tough at all,. Meatballs cooked a long time in sauce are easy-hamburgers are tougher, and I try to avoid them.

I always eat my protein first...oh shrimp ****tail is great also for a meal...hope this helps

Suzy E.
on 7/31/11 7:58 am - CA
I am also having problems with protein drinks but I am only at preop diet stage. I found a protein powder called Pro7ein that has 34g per serving and can be put in 6oz. I mix it with unsweetened Almond Breeze Almondmilk to make it a bit creamier.
My biggest prob is allergies to whey, milk and egg but can't tolerate soy .