Protein Ice Power Shot??

mom2kings
on 7/27/11 5:59 am
Thanks for the feedback.  I too thought it looked like a good option, but wanted to check to see what others thought.
Mom2Kings

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/11 6:27 am
I have tried this one also...has 27 grams protein in only a 2.9 fl oz shot. Fruit punch.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Fortress-Whey-Protein-Shot-26 -gram-Fruit-Punch-2.9-fl-oz/10322370
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/27/11 6:44 am, edited 7/27/11 6:51 am - OH
You are talking about something COMPLETELY different!  The 3 oz shots you are using are collagen based and do not have the amino acids you need to be able to absorb even the crappy collagen protein.  They are a complete waste of money and calories since your body CANNOT absorb the protein!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/27/11 6:49 am - OH
MOST of the sites that I have seen this advertised on say it is 20 ounces, not 4!  Have you actually seen the size of the bottle in person?  (The only one I ever saw myself was definitely NOT 4 ounces, but that was a while ago.)

20 oz:
www.strongernutrition.com/Products/Protein-Ice-Power-Shot-11 0321.aspx

4 oz:
www.amazon.com/ANSI-Protein-Power-Shots-Watermelon/dp/B004TF U3C2

Lora

mom2kings
on 7/27/11 6:59 am
I just ordered 12 - 4oz "shot" bottles from bulk nutrition.
http://www.bulknutrition.com/p28383-protein-ice-power-shot-p each-mango-advanced-nutrient-scie.html

They also have 12 - 20oz bottles that have 42g protein
http://www.bulknutrition.com/p28379-protein-ice-peach-mango- advanced-nutrient-science.html

Bulk Nutrition was cheaper than Amazon.
Mom2Kings

NIXMOMMIE
on 7/27/11 7:30 am - NC
I saw today that Bariatric Advantage also has a new shot that is high in protein and is designed for bariatric patients. I can only assume that they are the experts and it should be a good product.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/27/11 8:17 am - OH
Do NOT assume.  There are MANY questionable products being sold as "specially deisgned for bariatric patients".  It is about making money not about looking out for our health.  If you are talking about their Protein Elixer, it is collagen protein which is crappy protein (even if it has all the necessary amino acids to make it a complete (and therefore absorbable) protein (which no one seems to know... or is not saying)).

Lora

poet_kelly
on 7/27/11 8:34 am - OH
That's a dangerous assumption to make.

They are experts and selling products to bariatric patients.  That does not mean they are experts at selling products that meet our needs.  They are a business.  Some of their products may meet our needs and some may not.  They are not experts at keeping us healthy, they are experts at selling us stuff.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hlacy
on 7/27/11 10:16 am - Chandler, AZ
Tried it today at my pre-op class, and it was good - no aftertaste (for me) like whey. It's collagen protein. Had a discussion with my NUT about it, and she does not have an issue with collagen protein - she says we can absorb it, just not as well as whey, soy or egg. She also said it was a discussion topic at a bariatric conference the office recently attened. She recommended it just for the first week after surgery if we were not comfortable using it, as it's a clear liquid shot, can be mixed with water and meets our calorie and protein requirement. She also suggested the Ispoure No-Carb RTD Clear bottles, but I have such trouble with the aftertaste of whey. I think I will use the BA shots the first week only then go back to my egg protein powder and try the other powder samples I have.
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/27/11 10:35 am - OH
But did they address the specific issue of the collagen based shots not being complete proteins (i.e. NOT having all of the amino acids necessary for you to absorb it)?  THAT is more of the issue than the fact that collagen is an inferior form of protein.  If it doesn't have ALL the amino acids, it's not a matter of not absorbing it as well as other types of protein, it's a matter of not absorbing it at all (and many NUTs are not even aware that most of these shots (I don't know about this one, though) do NOT have all the amino acids)!  You can ONLY absorb it if it has all the amino acids.  Period.  Please ask her again if she knows this.  I hate that some well-meaning NUTs are recommending the collagen shots that we already KNOW are useless just out of ignorance of the issue (and that people are therefore NOT getting all the protein that they think they are).

Lora

Most Active
Recent Topics