Oh my GAG!

~*K J*~
on 8/5/11 2:30 am - MD
So i just recieved my new blender bottle so i decided to test out my first ever protein shake. (I am still pre-op) Today i tried the Unjury Vanilla my NUT had provided me with. I mixed it with water. My first sip made me want to gag. Same for the second. By the third I dumped it out. I have ordered some samples of Chike, Jay Robb, and Nectar Sweets that are in the mail. Hopefully I find one that I like before surgery. I also have to do a two week liquid pre op diet  b4 surgery which will include the protein shakes so here is to hoping! Below are the samples that are on the way and the prices in case anyone is curious. 
Nectar:
Caribbean Cooler, Crystal Sky, Fuzzy Navel, Twisted Cherry, Choc Truffle, Strawberry Mousse (1.99 per sample on vitalady.com)
Jay Robb:
Vanilla, Choc, Strawberry, Tropical Dreamsicle, Pina Colada( paid 13.35 for the sample kit and 5.00 for shipping)
Chike:
Chocolate Bliss, Very Vanilla, Strawberry Burst, Orange Crème, Banana Magic ( paid 6.95 for shipping only the samples are free on their website)
BOTTOMS UP
 ~*KJ* HW 330 Day of Sugery 320

Mia H.
on 8/5/11 2:47 am - OH
 Did you already order the Nectar?  If not or see if you can cancel, because if you call the company itself (800 number is on their website), you can get a packet of all 13 flavors for $13 w/no shipping. 

~*K J*~
on 8/5/11 3:04 am - MD
 Wow! Thanks for the head's up. It looks like it is too late but hey I am going to snatch up this deal in addition to the other samples :)

~*K J*~
on 8/5/11 3:27 am - MD
 Just ordered and you were right, 13.00!!! I will have them by Wed of next week. Thanks again!

Mia H.
on 8/5/11 12:24 pm - OH
 You're welcome!  I received mine in about 2 days.  They're pretty quick.

Dorathea
on 8/5/11 2:54 am - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12
I really like the bariatric advantage protein/meal replacement shakes.  They are yummy and don't have that protein shake taste, if that makes sense.

<-------Pharmacist  I can answer general questions, but for more serious questions always ask your surgeon.

~*K J*~
on 8/5/11 3:26 am - MD
 Thanks Dorathea! I am excited to keep playing around with them. I will check out your recommendation :)

Carol M.
on 8/5/11 3:11 am - TX
Don't order too much before surgery as  your tastes are very likely to change.  As for the taste, you need to do a little research and experiment with sugar free flavorings and adding ice and mixing in a blender of some sort.  I even added a few strawberries or blue berries to mine during my pre-op diet.  I have created some very tasty shakes that I still drink 6 months post-op.  There are 2 websites that gave me lots of inspiration before and after surgery that are mentioned on this list often.
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com and www.bariatriacfoodie.com
You can do this. Good luck.
Carol , East Texas
~*K J*~
on 8/5/11 3:23 am - MD
 Thanks Carol! I had seen a lot of posts that refer to what you said regarding changing tastes. My plan is to find the samples I like now for the pre op and then experiment again once my pallette changes after surgery. And yes, eggface is awesome!!! I am thinking the next shake I try I will put in the blender, maybe the strawberry one with real strawberries per your suggestion. I am going to look on Amazon.com today as I know Shelly mentions the Torani sugar free syrups often. Do you have any recipes you would like to share, maybe one of your faves? Thanks again!

Kim H.
on 8/5/11 3:13 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
Trust me that when I tell you that the shakes that made me gag started to taste delicious starting at about day 4-5 of my liquid diet. It's amazing how hunger can change our perceptions. I would try a bunch of different flavors but don't invest too much since your tastes really do change after surgery. Also, after surgery it's gets easier since right now you can choose to eat whatever you want. After surgery you have to choose to drink the protein if you want to lose weight and be healthy. Not having an option makes it easier to swallow- literally & figuratively.

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views