Good Sugars & Bad Sugars???

Mia H.
on 8/5/11 8:48 pm - OH
 I am a bit confused on sugars.  Are there good sugars and bad sugars like there are from carbs?  I haven't asked my NUT this yet and plan on doing so.  The reason why I am asking is I am finally getting some appetite back and been wanting yogurt.  Now, I don't like greek yogurt and have tried it many different ways, the tanginess is just not my thing.  So I have been reading all the weigh****chers yogurts, light yogurts, etc. and they all have over 7 g of sugar (that's the limit my NUT said).  I tried the carbmasters at Krogers, but those are just way too sweet tasting for me.  I have not had a dumping episode, but I also have not tested it either and don't really want to.  So are the light yogurts okay?  Is the sugar from the dairy and fruit good?  I'm just wanting to see what others thought.  Thanks for your help!

Price S.
on 8/5/11 9:49 pm - Mills River, NC
Sugar from dairy and fruit is still sugar and I have heard of folks dumping on fruit.  I would stick to the limit set by your Nut.  We were allowed sugar free yogurt with full liquids.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Mia H.
on 8/5/11 10:04 pm - OH
 Thanks Price!  That's the problem I am having.  Other than the carbmasters at Krogers, all the yogurts are not sugar free.  I thought the light and weigh****cher ones woud be, but they're not.  II have been to several stores and just cannot find a completely sugar-free yogurt.  Well, I'm going to Trader Joes this afternoon, I'll take a look there. 

Does anyone have a brand that they know of that's sugar free?

Kristen M.
on 8/5/11 10:26 pm - VA
 my NUT told me no more than 5-7 grams a serving on something. you should not dump from that small intake. but i haven't really had anything that is more than 5grams 
What you do today creates every tomorrow-Oprah    
Mia H.
on 8/5/11 10:39 pm - OH
 Most of them had like 10 g or more.  I guess I could just eat half at one time and half at another, if I cannot find a sugar free one.  Thank you everyone for your replies!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/5/11 11:07 pm, edited 8/5/11 11:08 pm - OH
Yogurt cannot be sugar free because it is made from milk which contains sugar.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Price S.
on 8/5/11 11:17 pm - Mills River, NC
Lora is correct.  There is natural sugar in the yogurt before anything is added to it and you can't much avoid that.  It was no added sugar that we could have.  And we did eat 1/4c, or about 1/2 container for a "meal".  Sorry i wasn't clear.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/5/11 11:07 pm - OH
Even a plain yogurt with NO added sugars from flvoring or sugar is going to have 7-9 g of sugar from the lactose from the milk it was made from!  (I don't even want to know what kind of processing and replacing of things they do to the Carbmaster yogurt that gets it down to 3g... ick)  I have never heard of anyone dumping on the natural sugar in plain or vanilla yogurt (or milk or cheese).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/5/11 11:48 pm

oo.... I do. Dump on milk or normal yogurt. i can have 4 oz., More than that - I am in a dump city... I am different... The only time I do not dump on that  - is during RH... milk brings my sugar up in no time.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/5/11 11:16 pm - Baltimore, MD
Lora I can't paste the link from my phone. Would you mind linking to the sugar shock series on bf? It's on the "the basics of wls eating" page I believe. Thx.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views