Thyroid Medication Absorbtion Issue

samsander
on 8/11/11 3:27 pm - CA
So.....

My GP asks me... "are you taking your thyroid medicine"?

I reply, " Yes, just like I always h ave for the past 13 years.."

She goes on to tell me that it is so low, that it is almost like I am not taking it.

She upped the dose and changed the brand, but.... YIKES!!!!

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Any tips?

(at least it explains the tiredness I h ave experienced in the last few months... I hope!).

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

ellie-mae
on 8/11/11 4:00 pm
iron affects absorbtion of thyroid meds, I've it must be seperated by anywhere from 2-12 hrs
samsander
on 8/11/11 4:07 pm - CA
Yikes.... And thnk you!

samsander
on 8/11/11 4:11 pm - CA
12 hours is nearly impossible though... Isn't it???

ellie-mae
on 8/11/11 5:45 pm
someone posted a few days ago that they were told 12hrs, the info I got from pharmacy with the refill said I think 2 hours. 12 hrs seems almost impossible. I've tried to seperate them by 2 hrs, I'm only 2 weeks post op so I have not had my levels checked. Maybe check with Dr. or pharmacy.
Becca R.
on 8/11/11 6:06 pm - WA
I just had my thyroid levels checked again cause I have been super lethargic lately.. if they come back normal i may still ask for a stronger dose cause I hate feeling like a loony when Im low!
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
   Lilypie First Birthday tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
REDRN
on 8/11/11 9:28 pm
Do not take calcium or iron within 2 hours of your thyroid med. If this doesn't help, then you might try chewing your synthroid (if this is what you are on). I couldn't get my levels up until i started chewing mine after surgery, and now they are fine. Good luck.
BTW- the med (synthroid) actually has a "sweet" taste to it
Don27516
on 8/11/11 10:08 pm - NC
 I am having the oposite problem. My TSH is very low, but I don't take iron suplements.

seashell6417
on 8/11/11 10:32 pm - Gaylord, MN
Like previous posters stated, you do have to take your synthroid at least two hours before your iron and calcium.  You also need to take it an hour before eating and avoid soy products for a few (2-4) hours after taking your synthroid.  I was following the eating and supplement rules and my levels were going in the wrong direction depsite several dose increases.  I finally discovered the cereal I was eating with my Greek yogurt each morning had soy in it.  When I changed my breakfast routine to eliminate the soy my levels started improving.
Tami

siberiancat
on 8/12/11 2:50 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
It is hard to work Thyroid meds into your other vitamin/supplement routine.  I take 2 Thyroid meds daily.

I wake up every night between 2-4 am.  I keep my thyroid meds in a 7 day container and water by my bedside.  I take my Thyroid in the middle of the night.  Meets the requirements, doesn't interfere with any other meds or supplements, my tummy is empty.  Then I fall back to sleep.  Works for me.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery