Hope for the best, plan for the worst

effyx1
on 8/13/11 9:17 am - Saginaw, MI
My surgery is in 3 days, and while I think everything is going to go great, I'm still planning for some what ifs. I have the main income, pay all the bills, and am generally in charge of the "important stuff." My husband is happy letting me take care of all that stuff, and he keeps the house and yard looking nice (which makes me very happy). Even before the surgery, I tried to get him at least knowledgeable about our finances and different accounts with little success.

I've always worried that if something happened to me, he'd be clueless, but now the surgery is making me think about it even more. I've started a list of important info he'll need in case I'm incapacitated.

Here's what I have so far:
SS#, life insurance info, HR contact at my job, bank account info, utilities, credit card info, login info for financial websites, student loan info, debt info

Have any of you had to compile such a list? Can you think of anything I'm missing?

HW:306; Pre-op:288; SW:274; CW:131; GW:138

poet_kelly
on 8/13/11 9:24 am - OH
I have a list.  I've had it for years.  Many years ago, I worked for a hospice and I saw a number of families go through horrible things because they did not have wills, powers of attorney, etc.  Mostly it was a problem when someone lived with a parther but they were not legally married.  Having seen what can happen, I made a will, a living will, a durable power of attorney and a durable power of attorney for health care.

My partner, my mother and my sister all have copies of these documents and know where I keep the originals.  With my original will, I have a list of things I think someone would need to know if they were taking care of my affairs.

In addition to the things you  mentioned, my list includes information about where to find things like the title to my car, my checkbook, my credit cards, etc.  It also has a list of people to be notified of my death and some notes about what I would like done with my stuff and what I would like done at my funeral (which pretty much says do whatever you feel good about, I'm dead so I don't care).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

allvalerie
on 8/13/11 10:33 am - Seward, AK
Car titles if you have them, phone numbers for family and friends, burial wishes-

I think you got most things covered

Valerie
Most Active