can someone explain this???

rayjack12
on 8/14/11 2:30 am
Ok...first off, I weigh everyday.  That isn't the issue.  I like to see the daily fluctuations, it makes me feel not so bad when I see a slight gain.

However, we went out of town for a couple of days.  I still got in most of my protein, all of my water, etc.  I did eat more carbs than normal.  I logged all of my food both days, etc.  I didn't go over 1400 calories per day.  Normally I get in about 900. 

I come home and I am 2.6 over what I was when I left.  In less than a 24 hour trip.  On a normal day I can fluctuate about 1 pound (I know this from watching patterns over time). 

I guess my question is...why did I gain so much when I ate far less than what I would call "average".  Will I ever be able to eat a "normal" diet?  I'm not too concerned about the extra pounds.  I know since I am home today and things are back to normal they will come off again.  But why does such a small change in eating have such drastic (or should I say "abnormal" effects on the scale?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/14/11 3:02 am - OH
Number one, the "gain" HAS to be water weight, even if your "normal" fluctuation is less than that, since you clearly did not eat the extra 10,000 calories it would have taken to gain 2.5 pounds!  (Even with having had a hysterectomy years ago, and therefore no periods, I can fluctuate as much as 5 pounds in a single day, so it surprisesd me that your nromal fluctuations are only a single pound.)

My best guess is that, since you were traveling, you were probably eating out more... and restaraunt meals usually mean a lot more sodium than home-cooked meals.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 8/14/11 3:07 am - OH
It's normal for your weight to fluctuate more than one pound.  That was not abnormal at all.

As far as whether you'll be able to eat a  normal diet, I guess it depends on what you  mean by normal.  You won't ever be able to eat like you did before surgery.  You won't even be able to eat just like most people that haven't had surgery.  Like, you'll never be able to eat a huge plate of pasta followed by a huge dessert.  However, you'll be able to eat most foods in small portions.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rayjack12
on 8/14/11 3:39 am
To me, normal would be around 1200-1400 calories.  And from what you ladies have said...that is exactly what my feelings were as well (especially the sodium one).  Thank you!
poet_kelly
on 8/14/11 3:48 am - OH
Oh yeah, you should be able to eat that.  I eat about 1500 calories a day.  I was close to two years out before I could eat that much, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rayjack12
on 8/14/11 9:58 am

That is so good to know, Kelly.  Thank you!

dasie
on 8/14/11 4:45 am
Every 4 days I have to go out of town.  On those days it is easy for the scale to jump more than normally.  I think it is caused by me sitting for long periods of time in the car and the fact I don't get as many liquids in while traveling.  Also, it is hard to stay on my eating plan because we are  updating a house, and the kitchen is out of commission at this time.  So I think the extra sodium and sitting for long periods attribute the the fluctuations.

rayjack12
on 8/14/11 9:59 am
That is what I was thinking the problem was, too.  It is good to hear your experience.  The bad thing is...its soooo hard to get back on track after just one weekend!!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views