Is it possible to get TOO MUCH protein?

maggiet
on 8/16/11 5:31 am - Durham, NC
I've seen such a range of protein suggestions on this list. I did a quickie search of ASMBS and didn't find it. My surgeon said about 65 grams a day but lots of folks go over 100. I'm averaging 145grams per day. Is that too much? I'm 5'9", weight train and swim 3 x per week, have a desk job that occassionally requires periods of intense physical work. I'm eating about 800-1000 calories a day. So, is there a 'too much protein" place? Is it harmful?

aseg21
on 8/16/11 6:29 am - Miami, FL

Too much protein can put a big strain on your kidneys. If you aren’t exercising and helping them to flush that way, it can be an issue. Also there’s been studies that show if you aren’t already getting  high amounts of calcium, increasing your protein will cause your body to leech calcium from your bones. Protein causes an increase in urea and uric acid in your blood. Your body responses to that acidification by releasing calcium ions from the skeleton to buffer the blood. Also a lot of the pure protein sources are really high in fat as they are meat products, so be careful what you choose a protein source.

Lowest Weight: 145 lbs
Current weight: 148.6 lbs

Total Loss: 226 lbs

poet_kelly
on 8/16/11 6:42 am - OH
The ASMBS suggests 1.1 gram protein per kilogram of your ideal body weight.  It's in their document with all the nutritional guidelines.  It's in the section where they talk about protein, which is after the part where they talk about vitamins.

1.1 gram per kilogram of ideal weight, by the way, works out to about half a gram per pound.  People that work out a lot might need a little more than that.

There is such a thing as too much protein, but unless you have some sort of problem with your kidneys, it would probably be hard for you to eat so much protein that it would hurt you.

Look at your set of labs and look at the numbers for total protein and albumin.  As long as those are in the normal range given on your lab report, you're just fine.  If those numbers are high, then you may need to cut back just a little.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mama-Z
on 8/16/11 7:25 am
Kelly, Where can I access this document?  I have went to ASMBS website and hunted all around for a link leading me to it but can't find anything even remotely like it.  I'd like to read about the vitamins and the nutritional guidelines. 

poet_kelly
on 8/16/11 7:53 am - OH

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mama-Z
on 8/16/11 11:16 am
Thx again!

Kim H.
on 8/16/11 7:56 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
I have been reading this: http://asmbs.org/guidelines-statements/ look under"guidelines" for,

ASMBS Integrated Health Nutritional Guidelines for the Surgical Weight Loss Patient (PDF)
March 2008

Hope that helps. Lots of other documents to read there, too... :)

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Mama-Z
on 8/16/11 11:16 am
Thx Kim!

fatfreemama
on 8/16/11 7:10 am - San Jose, CA
As Kelly said, you need to go by your labs. I average 140+ grams of protein per day. My body doesn't absorb it well so my doc has me doing one whey protein shake per day. I exercise pretty intensly also, and do weights 2x week. So I would think you are doing fine, but track your labs. That will give you the best idea on whether you need more or less.

Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

rbb825
on 8/16/11 4:07 pm, edited 8/16/11 4:07 pm - Suffern, NY
Alot of it depends on how far out you are.  You are only 2 months out, so the norm for 2 months is about 65 grams.  Those of us that you see getting over 100 grams per day, are usually a year or more out.  145 grams per day at 2 months is alot.  I can't see how you could be getting that much protein so early out and only getting 800 calories per day?  What size portions are eating? How many protein drinks are drinking per day?  How many calories are shakes?  My shakes have 45 grams but they also have about 300-350 calories.

Be careful like the other poster said, large amount of protein can be harmful to your kidneys - even cause kidney stones.  We do need large amounts of protein due to our malabsorbtion but it is a gradual thing as time goes on and also based on our labs.  You want your total protein to be in the low 7's and your albumin to be in the mid 4's.  Make sure your uric acid is okay, your creatinine isn't too low or your BUN isnt' too high.  Too much protein will lower your creatinine and increase your BUN.

I am not saying to not get in protein, it is very important and most have a hard time even getting in the 65 grams at the beginning, I just think 145 is a bit overkill at the beginning.

Do you eat anything other than protein?  Fruit, vegetables, starches, fats?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views